SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jean_luc_gw

Sulfur: real need and uptake with hydroponics.

jean-luc
14 years ago

I've always wondered about the high Sulfur content in classical (and my) formulas. Well, as/when we use Magnesium sulfate to add the necessary Mg to our formula, we can't avoid having relatively as much sulfur as the content of MgSO4 * 7H2O has anyway (50 PPM of Mg equals automatically 70 PPM of sulfur). So far so good...

Actually, when calculating a nutrient formula we consider P and K as elemental and actual P and K, but what about Mg and Sulfur from MgSO4 * 7H2O? Because Sometimes also Mg is given as MgO. I recently have found this formula, to transform MgO convention into actual or elemental Mg. It goes like this: Mg = MgO x 0.60. But what about Sulfur, is there only elemental S or is there any "industrial standard convention" as well?!

Also I got this data which shows minima- and maxima content of sulfur and Mg in nutrient solutions.

Mg = 25 -75 PPM

S = 60 -330 PPM

The extreme wide range for Sulfur is probably due to the huge differences of sulfur needs among different plant types, isn't it?. Or do plants have a good tolerance of S, or is it simply pushed that high because of the mentioned high S-content of our MgSO4 * 7H2O? In the later case, it must rather be a convention as an indicator for real S-uptake, right?

Comments (5)