SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ann_in_houston

Like a fool, I picked up a Fuji Waterfall (I think)

Ann_in_Houston
15 years ago

I saw one at the grocery store and the price wasn't bad. It was labeled "Shooting Star". When I looked it up, I found out that Fuji Waterfall is also referred to as Shooting Star. It has white sterile flowers with blue centers - that's what I find so charming,and the fertile, middle ones are blue. If anyone here has this variety, I'd appreciate verification of the description. I say I'm a fool because it's so hot here. I think the ones from Japan are especially sensitive to the heat. I plan on potting it so I can experiment with exposures and control its stress. I already have some success with a few varieties. I have a Lady in Red, two Endless Summers (one rehabilitated and one in the process)and a mystery lacecap, also rehabbing from the clearance table. I have a Bluebird lacecap that isn't blooming this year, but it has bloomed in past years and I don't see why it won't, next year. Also in a container, I have a tricolor lacecap. I have had two of those die, but believe it or not, it has been the winters that did those in, so with it being in a pot, I can shelter it better. I ordered a climber (Mexican hydrangea, Semanii)which should do fine in this area since it is in the shade of the tree it will climb. I'm excited about it because it is evergreen and that is something I really prize. It's a baby, but it should be worth the wait. I've been aching for a Dardom, or White Dome and I finally got one of those. I just hope it grows and blooms to its potential. I had to try it. I am hoping also for good results from two others I ordered because, again, I just had to try them. They are Blaumaise and Rotdrossel. You'll just have to look them up. I don't have any blooms on those yet, so we'll see, for next year. They're both in pots, as well. Actually, the only ones in the ground are the two Endless Summers. They are also the only mopheads I have. I just love the lacecaps so much. I really didn't realize how many of these plants have, that I'm not supposed to be able to grow. They don't bloom as profusely as the pictures, but I think that is a case of learning how to manage the fertilizer. I expect to learn more about that. If they'll just stay alive, I can work on my expertise with them until I get the best results I can.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm