SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuck_gw

Hydroponic? Some thoughts for the new and the expirenced

chuck
15 years ago

So, what is hydroponics? When I first started working with hydroponic systems, I had a lot of preconceived notions. First off, I thought that there must be plants growing with the roots floating in a nutrient bath. Then, I saw that the plants could grow in a medium to support the roots and plant, but I thought it must not be dirt. The idea was to feed the plant roots directly with water soluable nutrients, and that means that microbic action would not be needed to convert nitrogen sources like urea and manuer into a form usable by the plants. So, even if a plant is growing in earth, if only water soluable nutrients are used to water the plant, is it still a hydroponic system? That is, if the soil is not hosting any microbes, and there is no microbe action, are we still talking hydroponics? The purpose of a growing medium is to provide support for the plant. It is a place for the root system to spread out forming a support system for the plant as well as maximizing the area of nutrient pickup. I used gravel in my first system, and then fell in love with the SHULTZ baked clay product. Most lately, I have gone to peat moss. It occured to me that there has to be plenty of microbes in the peat moss. So while the plant is getting all of its minerals from the professional hydroponic product I am using, the system has the capability of useing non water soluable nitrogen sources as well. But once I do that, have I crossed the line from hydroponics to just plain old container growing? You know, for the most part, hydro nutrients are kind of expensive if you don't buy in large volumes. The southern agriculture product I use (#77766) makes 1 gal of nutrients using 1 tsp of the product. Of course, you also have to add calcium nitrate and some epsom salts to complete the mix, but the 25 pound bag lasts a long time and costs around $25 bucks. But for a lot of folks wanting to get into hydroponics, they are having to spend some big bucks for tiny quantities of nutrients. That is why I raise the question of what is hydroponics. If the idea is to have a great hobby learning the ins and out of a process that has nothing to do with saving money and feeding yourself, then great. Build complicated systems with pumps, timers, misters, pressure regulators, lights, blooming formulas, drip heads, and ultrasonic misters. I did a lot of it myself. I had a ball. But for the current problems we are now facing with fuel prices going crazy and food costs rising so fast, I think it would be reasonable for those of us with years of expirence to try and recognize a posting from someone who is just looking for a way to cope with this crisis, and steer them to a reasonable inexpensive way to grow some food. A lot of these folks will not have an area for a garden. Most people looking for a cheap way to grow foor do not own their own home, and those that did are probably about to lose it. So, I have tried to develope a cheap grower that is both a hydro unit ( if hydro formulas are used) and a container if regular granulated fertilizers are used. I also have used a liquid plant food, (the one with an eye dropper) as a test, and for around $5 bucks, anyone can grow anything from tomatoes, squash,peppers, and more with a minimum of fuss and without a long complicated learning process. I think that many of the people comming here are landless folks worried about their family. I urge all of you to make things as simple as possible at the beginning, and let them develope with time into more complicated systems while their initial system is producing. Nothing like success to encourage someone on to greater acheavements. To that end, I am putting a link to a beginners system that could be used as a hydroponic system, or as a container grower (depending on weither the microbes are utilized). chuck

Here is a link that might be useful: A cheap system for anyone hungry

Comments (27)