SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herb_gw

Latest issue (#44) of the Journal of Japanese Gardening

Herb
19 years ago

This just arrived, and it has all sorts of interesting & pithy comments.

In a reply to a letter about wabi-sabi, it defines wabi as 'refined poverty'. I like that because though I'm not sure about refinement, I can certainly supply poverty.

There are 14 very interesting short pieces - each by a different expert - about things that, in relation to Japanese gardens, are under-rated & over-rated. The piece about Garden websites is rather scathing about what it calls wannabe experts (though it doesn't name them) in this forum. The piece about Teahouse carpentry says that the teahouse is over-rated as a garden structure in western settings, and prefers such things as a wooden gate, a machiai waiting area, or an azumaya gazebo. The piece about garden plants says that red Japanese maples are over-rated while the plain, green Acer Palmatum is preferable and that non-coniferous evergreens including box, yew, photinia, euonymus, osmanthus etc. are very useful indeed but much under-rated. (To that list I'd add escallonia.)

Another article that's rather intriguing recommends a floor to ceiling window to give you a better view of your garden - from your bath. What do you think about this last one?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH