SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_h96

Hydrangeas for zone 10, strong sun- Mathilda Gutges suffering.

Melissa.H
10 years ago

I planted 3 Mathilda Gutges (my first try at hydrangeas) a couple months ago. They are on the side of the house that primarily gets morning sun, but I realize even though the afternoon sun is partly shaded, it seems to be too much. The leaves are turning brown and crispy on the edges and the blooms on the fronts of the plants that get more sun are bleaching out to pale blues and even greenish yellow, while the blooms on the back of the plants more hidden from the sun are a deep purple. They get plenty of water, that doesn't seem to be an issue. With the temps getting hotter as the summer goes on here in inland Orange County, I am concerned. Should I try to rig up temporary shade and hope they become more established and can tolerate the sun, or should I move them now so they don't die?

If I need to move these to a shadier area, are there any hydrangea varieties that will do well in zone 10 with strong sun? I'd like to keep some hydrangeas in these spots, even if the MG's are moved. I'm new to gardening, so all your advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus