SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shyspook

Ground Bees swarming! Don't Want to KILL them!

shyspook
16 years ago

We have ground bees here and Yellow Jacket wasps. The wasps usually live in trees and in sheds. I just came online looking for any information about ground bees because I noticed the bees last week when I cleared out an old rotting tree branch. They did not attempt to sting me or my family. My son wanted to spray them and I would not let him because of the benefit to plants, etc. TODAY... I was out turning the ground and replanting a flower bed and as I started to come into the house, I noticed that the bees are swarming near my front door. I thought at first they were after the giant garden spider there and then I realized that they are swarming my hummingbird feeder by the millions!

I have never noticed them by the feeder before and the hummingbirds should have all started migrating by now....they left the feeder full when they left and I haven't gotten around to taking it down.

I don't want to kill the bees. I am not allergic to them or poison ivy or most other things that sting.

What I want to know is what I can do FOR them to make them comfortable where they are NOW. Can I put some kind of house out for them...What do I do? Why are they swarming the feeder? Will it help if I put it closer to the tree so they can have easier access to it? What can I do for them?

Comments (2)