SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

Transplanting From Hydroponics...Help!

aveo5
14 years ago

Hi all. I need some help/advise on how to transplant my 3 very valuable and perfectly grown pepper plants,into soil. They are going to run out of room to grow soon,they are in an AeroGrow garden. I used it to start seeds of some VERY expensive and VERY hot peppers. They are hard to get to germinate as it is in soil. So I tried my Aerogrow, and I got 3 to sprout in less than 2 weeks. That was amazing. they can take up to a month to sprout,if at all!

So now I have 3 perfect plants,and they look great,but they only have 12in of height to grow in, till they hit the lights, they are only 3in right now,but they are taking off now,and growing very fast!

I will need to transplant in the next month or sooner. Does anyone have any experience in transplanting from this garden? Or from a hydroponic garden in general I guess?

The plants are growing in a growing medium,and the roots are bursting through the plastic grow cups just wonderfully! I drilled many extra holes in the plastic cups, to give the seeds/plants, more access to the water/fert., and the roots are taking full advantage of my little trick:) they are growing through all the holes.

So..how do I transplant them,without killing them? Should I leave the plastic grow cup on the plant to spare the roots any shock? I assume since they have been grown in water, the roots are more 'tender',so planting them into soil is going to be shock enough. But how do I do it.

I know this is a hydroponic site,and you want to grow in water, but now that I have had my success in getting some pepper plants, I need to move them into soil. I only have 12in of height to work with, or I would leave them in the garden. They are perfect plants.

Any hints would be great. Has anyone else done this?

Should I do it now while the plants are small and try to get the plastic cup off the roots, or let them grow till they cant fit anymore under the lights, by then the roots will be a tangled mess and I wont be able to remove the cup. But with all the holes I added to it, I dont know if it will stunt the growth or not.

Any idea would be appreciated. These are very expensive plants and I dont want to loose them. I lost all my other ones that were growing in 'Jiffy pots pellets', one night they just all up and died! I lost all my super hot peppers. But my hydroponic ones are alive and well, and if I CAN transplant them, I need to know how, or I am out of luck.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022