SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
strawberryman

New Hydro Strawberry Setup Questions

strawberryman
15 years ago

Good day!

Just about to get started with my first hydro strawberry grow. I live in Taiwan, and am fed up that none of my favorite fruits (blueberries, strawberries) are available here other than for a very short time /expensive during the year. Would like to start producing my own, if possible.

I've got tons of hydro experience, but none with strawberries. Been reading up on tengreenthumbs.com, lots of great info over there.

Hope to god there are some folks growing strawberries here. Assuming there are, I'll go ahead and ask some questions..

1) The yearly average temperature in Taiwan is between 15 ~ 35 degrees celcius, is it possible to grow strawberries in this type of climate?

2) Provided that it is indeed possible, was planning on starting some experiments indoors, to be able to control environmental factors. What is the best system to grow the berries in? Factors like how difficult, expensive, complicated the system is are not issues.

3) Is the light schedule the same as for anything else? ie: 18/6 for growth, 12/12 for fruit?

4) What's the strain(s) to go with? From reading, it seems some kind of everbearing, day-neutral is the way to go.

5) How many crops a year can a guy do?

got the idea after going to Tokyo a few times and seeing the absolutely perfect, huge, delicious berries for sale there. Was blown away by their perfection. I've got pictures if anyone wants to see.

Hope someone has the time and knowledge o answer these questions..

Cheers,

Mike.

Comment (1)