SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daisyd681

Will this idea work? (totaly new to this)

daisyd681
16 years ago

I saw instructions for a hydro system that involved a 10 gallon fish tank that was to be covered so as not to allow light. I was thinking that a decorative watertight pot would look much nicer and do the same job. Right?

Aside from a bubble stone and pump, what else would I need for the water? I'm assuming I would need nutrients, where would I get them?

Also one of the sights with instructions said that regular flourescent bulbs do the same job as "grow lights". Is that true?

Does anyone have a link to specific instructions that are along these lines?

Primarily, I want to grow cherry tomatoes, baby spinach, and parsley. I know I would need more space for the tomato roots than the others, but I have seen pretty deep planter boxes, some without drainage wholes (which I always found totally pointless for soil planting).

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. I had considered getting an Aerogarden but I think I already have almost everything I would need to build something myself, not to mention put to use some of the stuff left over from when we had fish, and the money I'd save.

TIA

Meira

Comments (24)