SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oliveoyl3

Can you diagnose hosta's problem w/pics?

13 years ago

What is going on with this Hosta? I've done some research, but thought the experts here could confirm or dismiss what I've found.

Residing in rainy PNW foothills, H. fortunei 'Albo-picta' spent the winter in 1 gallon nursery pot and was first to show pips & open leaves. Now, I've counted 10 eyes and the small new leaves are showing the spots as well. None of my other hostas in ground or potted are showing these tiny rust colored spots with yellow surrounding spots.

I have 4 ideas:

1. drought due to the crowded pot & crown preventing rain from entering soil. I've moved it's location a few times this past month to give it more moisture & two weeks ago I put it in a bucket so it would have constant moisture until I can figure out what is wrong with it prior to planting out.

2. frost damage as it was the first to unfurl leaves this spring. I read that pinhead-sized brown spots sometimes seen on leaves in late spring and early summer are caused by the leaf-cells bursting due to slight frosts which often occur some time after the leaves have unfurled, and this damage is not apparent immediately. Frost damage can also cause the edges to turn brown

3. Or is it Alternaria Leaf Spot, a fungal disease causing small grey leaf spots with reddish-brown margins? I don't see gray spots, but brown spots of various sizes with yellow margins. Some of the larger spots have become holes in leaves, but not all.

4. Another type of insect pest sucking juice from leaves such as vine weevil, though not all have missing pieces.

#1 top view of plant

From hosta disease

#2 pin-hole sized damage to leaf

From hosta disease

#3 damage on another leaf

From hosta disease

#4 showing underside of leaf

From hosta disease

So, what do you think is going on and what treatment if any is recommended? I generally don't use anything other than home made compost, composted manures, ammonia water, & worry-free slug bait. Now & then I've sprayed a hot sauce concoction or mint tea to chase away moles, but no chemicals.

Submerge soak? Submerge soak w/ chlorine bleach solution & no more soil? Dumpster?

Corrine

from nearly record rainfall in PNW

Comments (3)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio