SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
actionclaw

How to repel Wasps (Yellowjackets/Hornets..) without killing?

I noticed some Wasps (or Yellowjackets or Hornets...) building their nest inside and above the wheel well of a car parked, right next to the garden, in our back yard.

I know there is plenty of info about removal/destruction and I've seen similar posts about this subject (even right here in these forums) but it degrades into whether to call a professional exterminator or poison them yourself, whether or not to use gasoline in the hole, why you shouldn't ignite gasoline poured into the ground, etc., etc. I know how to kill them all. I've done it before and --if absolutely necessary--I can do it again. I'm trying to avoid having to do this.

I haven't yet tried to identify them specifically but, whichever they are -- please correct me if I'm wrong but-- I believe they're beneficial predators and allies in my battle against tomato hornworms and/or cucumber beetles, squash bugs, squash vine borers, etc. etc. I welcome their help. The problem is they'll soon take over the area, view us as the intruders and attack. They're welcome to come by to visit individually, I just don't want the entire clan (of aggressive, ornery, painful little buggers) moving in!

Is there something non-toxic I can use to dissuade them from from continuing to nest but without killing them; something that will merely send them on their way?

Comments (2)