SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahelaumakani_gw

Mice! Is this normal? Advice?

9 years ago

My boyfriend and I just bought a home. It was empty for about 5 months before we got it. The backyard is pretty big with some huge fig trees and a random cornstalk which we found amusing...

We haven't moved in yet as we wanted to do some renovations first. We pulled baseboards in the dining room and I was horrified to find (in addition to the roach poop and egg cases which weren't a surprise) rodent droppings. The exterior wall was the worst. I didn't see any live mice but plenty of crud that looked like nesting material. There's something stuck under a board that looks suspiciously like a mouse's head. The house is from 1951 and it's pier and beam. I started to shop vac it all but a *thwump* and then a hot smell coming from the vac made me stop.

I noticed some corn kernels out on patio the other day and started worrying that there are mice still in the area. Then just now I read all about Hantavirus and the precautions to take when cleaning up nests including not vacuuming or sweeping up the nests!

Are mouse nests behind baseboards common for older homes? How am I supposed to get in all the nooks if vacuuming is discouraged? Wet wiping is suggested but I won't be able to get everything a vacuum could. Im hoping this isnt an active infestation. Would a mouse leave corn kernels on a patio or bury them? I'd think theyd take any food to their nests. i don't know if any neighbors have bird feeder but that seems the likely source. Do mice eat figs? I really like the trees but if they're encouraging mice to hang out then out they'll come.

Comments (3)