SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracy_in_texas

Garden safe gopher control?

Tracy_in_Texas
22 years ago

Okay folks, we're desperate. For three months now, my husband and I have babied and tended our garden, and it has become our pride and joy.

Enter Malicious Plant-eating Rodent.

This past Saturday this hateful little creature burrowed right up into our garden while we were weeding. My husband was peering into the hole from a few feet away when he saw it peek out. He said it had a little grey longish nose and whiskers. We dug up the ground and saw his little tunnel. We just piled the dirt back over the hole and didn't think anything of it.

We went to town and came back; there was a fresh LARGE mound of dirt in the garden. Over the space of two hours' time, this hateful little varmit had re-burrowed his little tunnel, and had sucked FOUR of our green bean plants down into the ground! There was no trace of any greenery...all that was left were a few little crumbs of dirt where the plants had been!

Then yesterday morning a new mound had appeared; the evil little beast had burrowed under two more rows and sucked down one of our pepper plants! There's no trace of the plant whatsoever!

Is this a gopher!?!

We went to Tractor Supply and bought a mole trap (it's the only trap they had). We also bought some smoke bombs and some poison. But the packages say the bombs and poison are not safe for a garden area. We called my grandfather and he said if you push the dirt away from the mound and shine a flashlight down the hole, he'll come back and try to cover up the hole again. So we uncovered the hole last evening (minus the flashlight...it was sunny) and sure enough he peeked out about 15 minutes later. My husband was waiting with the gun, but unfortunately, he missed. :( I went out this morning before work, and there he was...filling up his blown-away hole!! All I saw was a little flash of grey. (He somehow zipped right past the trap we set last night.)

We're desperate. By the time this fiend is finished with our garden, we'll not have a single plant left!

Is there a "quick-fix" for now, that's safe for our garden? Most methods of eradication are for lawns and flowers. We walked the property last night and saw several mounds, and we're determined to trap or poison for however long it takes. But what can we do that's SAFE and QUICK for our garden, before it's too late?? I saw a post on ammonia, one on liquid Lysol, one on Propane, and another on Pine-Sol, but will any of these hurt the plants in any way?

Any ideas??

And where can I get an effective trap??

Any help is appreciated...it's such a helpless feeling to watch your prized plants disappear into The Void each day!

Comments (20)