SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1dahlia4me

Help me plan which hydrangeas to put in certain spots?

1dahlia4me
13 years ago

Hello! Newbie here. We recently moved to a house (our first with an actual yard) that has no landscaping. I'm planning to put hydrangeas in some spots in the shady, west-facing front yard -- not ideal, I know. I've bought a couple quickfires and fuji waterfalls but I'm open to buying more hydrangeas. :) Note: this is a natural-looking, informal, semi-woodsy setting, so I prefer lacecaps to mopheads here (though I do like the look of a nice Annabelle too). I think white flowers would probably look most appropriate and show up best in the shade.

So here are the locations.

1. Front of the house, near the house. Partial shade with some afternoon sun. This one should be smallish so it doesn't block the windows of the split-level house. House is yellow, for color consideration. I was planning to put a quickfire here but it seems it will get too big. This will share a bed with some hostas, maybe a couple yellow rhododendrons for early color, possibly some zinnias and/or salvia.

2. South edge of a stand of trees to one side of the front yard. This is partial shade with some afternoon sun. Medium size is fine here. Planning some fuji waterfalls and one or two quickfires for this area.

3. In the middle of the stand of trees mentioned in #2. This is the shadiest of the locations, but the trees are high and upright so I'm hoping there's enough sun for a shade-loving hydrangea. Would love something really big with white flowers here. Veitchii??

Couple more preferences: Hardy, long bloom season, and strong enough not to flop.

Please excuse all the criteria and overthinking ... been waiting a long time for a yard to plan out. :)

Comments (3)