SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tannabanana

New state, new bugs

tannabanana
17 years ago

*sigh*

No one mentioned bugs being a problem when I moved here from So. Cal.! I'd never even heard of the squash vine borer until this year. Well, tonight I got up and real personal with one on my bush pink banana squash. I was able to grab him (or her) after running inside to get an id off of the computer :-) and smush the little bugger. Then I went on to do some inspection. I ended up cutting open 6 of my 7 winter squash plants and pulling out the larve. Gardening is not for the faint of heart! I then covered up the split vine with dirt. * maybe* it'll survive.

So, are these SVBs gonna be around for the rest of summer? Will I need to do daily checks until frost (if they survive)?

And Japanese beetles?! I'd never heard of them either! I've only seen one on my beans so not too much trouble there but I saw plants covered with hundreds (all mating too by-the-way) at a local park this evening.

I'm loving living in this state but California was way easier where bugs are concerned! (even with my horrible earwig trouble last year!).

Comments (4)

Sponsored