SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vipvenom

A few questions about aquaponics.

vipvenom
16 years ago

I just found out about aquaponics and think it is interesting. I have been into marine aquariums for several years now and I understand the cycle that fish waste goes through to be converted to a usable nitrate and ultimatly in my aquarium that is then converted into nitrogen gas but not very desireable in aquaponics :).

I understand how it works but don't see why it works. More specifically it seems to me that there needs to be a good fish load to supply the plants with the nitrogen. Also, I know that any uneaten food in my aquarium will turn into ammonia and ultimately nitrates.

What are the fish doing differently when consuming food as opposed to letting the food just sit in the water and give off ammonia?

How many fish are required per plant? What other additives are added for other nutrients?

I have a decent sized pond in my back yard with fish in it. Would a floating garden work in my pond assuming the roots got enough oxygen?

I think aquaponics is very cool. I like the fact that fish farms could now recycle the water while helping to grow crops or in third world places they could raise fish and plants together. So any more info you can give me is much appreciated.

TIA,

Chris

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH