SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hydrangeasnohio

Save my FE Red Sensation Hydrangeas from the Recycle Bin!!!

hydrangeasnohio
11 years ago

I bought 2 Forever & Ever Red Sensation Hydrangeas. I think they are on their 4th or 5th growing season now. They have never bloomed! This is the only hydrangea I have ever bought not in bloom and I regret it. My thoughts are they gave them a fertilizer to grow fast and cant snap out of it. They matured very quickly and are very very healthy. Also their light green foliage seems to handle sunnier spots that many other big leaf hydrangeas would not tolerate. I have one in morning sun only and the other that receives a lot of evening sun and never wilts! I would never try putting another kind of big leaf hydrangea in that evening sun spot. I would like to keep at least the one in the evening sun spot if I can figure out how to make it bloom! I really like the idea of having hydrangeas blooming red early in the season also!

I left them alone to work it out on their own till last year. Only thing I did years prior was fertilize with 10-10-10. Mid to late summer last year I pruned them back after all other hydrangeas in my yard were blooming. Hoping that would encourage a bloom or two sense they grow like a weed (didn't work). This year in March we had a huge warm up and all hydrangeas were putting on growth early. So I took a large rod with a hammer and pounded/spiked it into their root balls about a dozen times or more all around it. Then immediately fertilized with 0-45-0. I am thinking in the next few days I will repeat that process. But of course we had multiple freezes/frost after that warm up and most big leaf hydrangeas in my yard were damaged in April. The Red Sensation foliage did the worst out of all my hydrangeas. It was the only one not to have any green foliage left on it, where the rest had at least something green left on them...lol. But the Red Sensations are now putting on new growth again. Starting to wonder even if I would of bought one flowering if it would of still been a dud! I am running out of patience with this hydrangea! Along with I have no room for new plants in my landscape. So if I see something I cant live without or a great deal. Scared these hydrangeas will become worm food...lol. So if anyone has another idea to make them bloom I am all ears!

Comments (8)