SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
floridabear

AeroGarden To Grow African Violets???

floridabear
16 years ago

Hi. I have 2 of the big 7 plug AeroGardens growing tomatos and petunias,those are doing unreal! I also have the WHITE compact little AeroGarden 3 with 3 grow plugs. I have grown a Mountain Meadow kit already,and instead of buying a new seed kit and going again, I was going to try this experiment. By the way. The white one is no loonger in stock at AeroGrow. I have the white unit. They only have black for sale. IF anyone wants a white one. I am selling it for 1/2 the price:) If anyone is looking for a white one.

Till then,I want to try this experiment...BUT i was thinking of using the flat 'plate' that the 3 grow holes in it, to sit like 2-4 African Violets on it..and it would have the light and below the water in the bowl,bubbling away, making a lot of humidity. Perfect for violets...or most house plants! But I'm going to try some of my violets.

BUT heres my question. How far away from the light,it has the 1 'flat' compact fluoresant bulb in it,how far away from the bulb do you think the violets should be? I know violets, I kind of know these hydroponic gardens now. But this is a new experiment. Does this flat bulb put out a lot of light, to much for african violets? At least on the lowest setting? Should raise it up to the second or third setting? How would I know if it is right? I guess if the plant grows and flowers, I hit the right spot. BUT i dont want to burn it or kill them in the experiment 'phase'.

Anyone try something like this, and maybe already know how far up the bulb should go to grow violets? Maybe someone tried this with the big 7 plug AeroGrow Garden? It has even more light, but they are busy growing my tomatos and petunias! So I'm asking if anyone has tried something like this already and maybe can give me some help? I was hoping to not burn my one to three of my violets on the first 'try'. Anyone try something like this and have success?? And could tell me where to raise the light?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting