SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aveo5

African Violets and AeroGrow Lights....

aveo5
12 years ago

Hi. Can anyone tell me if the 2 lights in the Classic AeroGrow Garden, which is 2 26 watt full spectrum bulbs,putting out 1450 Lumens each, is this to much not enough, or just the right amount to grow violets? I am growing 7 violets on one of my Classic gardens, and have the hood as far away from the plants as possible, only 6-7 ins. Most are growing and blooming, but some are burning and not blooming. Does anyone use their garden for this purpose? Or know if this is a good idea, or an I heading for all burned plants?

80% of them are growing and blooming, about 20% are getting tight crowns,reddish brown leaves,no blooms, that usually means to much light.

Should I take out 1 bulb? Or is this amount of light just right? I want to use my other 2 classic gardens to grow more of my violets, but want to know if I should cut back on the light, leave it as it is, and if some burn, take them out and try others? Or what? The lights are on for 17 hrs a day, that is the 'Flower' setting on the Aero Grow garden,for flower seedkits, like petunias....so i set it on Flowers for my violets. I dont know why some are 'burning' and some are growing like crazy and finally blooming, but i want to use all 3 of my gardens to grow and hopefully get blooms from some of my violets that havent bloomed in over a year. So...anyone have any idea about the amount of light,is it to much,or just right, or what? Thanks.

Comments (4)