SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtdoctortoo

currants +/or gooseberries

dirtdoctortoo
18 years ago

Does anyone have experience with these? I am toying with the idea of planting either of these as a shrub border to screen an unsightly view. The area is decent soil, full sun, but gets quite a bit of wind. In the past highbush cranberries and a mock orange grew well in this area. (Had to take them out when put in the garage)

How full/tall do gooseberries really grow? We had wild ones back home in eastern Nebraska that tolerated shade but they were spindly things that only got about 3 to 4 feet high. That may have been a function of the shade.

I have no experience with currants. In reading about them it sounds like they grow taller which would be desirable. I'd like something that grows 5 to 8 feet high but not taller or it will cast too much shade. Something that bears edible fruit would be wonderful even if the birds get most of it. How full do currants grow? Will they be dense enough to block the view?

If anyone has any experience with these or suggestions regarding specific cultivars I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks,

Maria

Comments (15)

Sponsored