SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petunia_sunshine

Critique of planned Aeroponic system

petunia_sunshine
19 years ago

I am interested in building an aeroponic system.

I have seen plans for using rubbermaid containers, pvc pipe, or square vinyl fence posts, while using inserts such as solo cups or net pots. I would like to use a round 6" pvc pipe, with pvc inserts of 3/4" - 1" to surround the stem. This system will be outdoors in full sunlight.

I am considering two separate ten-foot lengths. One will have cucumbers next to a trellis, and one will have roma tomatos and bell peppers. One 32 gallon reservoir will supply both sections. The reservoir will be several feet away in the shade, and will have a rio 1400 submersible pump. The large pipes will be elevated as little as possible while still draining back into the reservoir.

To provide the fine aeroponic spray, I can only think of two options. One would be to use micro-irrigation tubing and misters laying inside the pipe. The other is to drill several fine holes in a length of 1/2" pipe, and lay it in the bottom of the 6" pipe. The thought is that the water pressure will create a needle-like spray which will splatter on the inside walls of the larger pipe.

I have a 15-minute lamp timer, and plan on 15 minutes ON and 15 minutes OFF during daylight hours. I am not worried about power outages.

My immediate concerns are:

Will the roots clog the pipe or interfere with the misters to the point of failure?

Can nutrient solution be sprayed through common micro-irrigation misters for weeks or months without salt buildup?

Can a 420gph submersible pump create enough pressure to operate misters or create the needle-like spray?

Do I need to run the system during the night?

This will be my fourth year with a hobby hydro garden. I have tried the 2-liter soda bottle ebb and flow, and rain gutters filled with perlite. I have always had decent results and learned new things. I am as interested in building new systems as I am with growing plants. As this is a hobby, I am not too concerned with maximizing yield, tweaking EC, TDS or such things. I would just like for it to work and produce a few vegetables while being cheap enough to buy supplies at the hardware store.

I am seeking advice from others who have tried similar systems, or to point out obvious problems that I may be overlooking.

Thanks in advance,

-petunia sunshine

Comments (18)