SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamritchie

Oakleaf

19 years ago

I have had this plant for about 5 years and it does not bloom. It dies back to the ground every winter. I plan to move it to an inside corner of the house that gets afternoon shade, but sunny in the morning. Will it bloom there.

Comments (40)

• 19 years ago

Only if it stays protected enough during the winter to keep the buds from dying. Since they bloom on old wood, if winter is killing the buds you will not get summer blooms no matter where you put it.....yg

• 19 years ago

Wow! what kind of winters do you get down there?? I have my oakleaf planted in a forested setting amongst douglas firs, and we went to -10c last winter and I didn`t even lose hardly any leaves.. Maybe look for a spot where there is very little wind..

• Related Discussions

Oakleaf Hydrangea and Snow Queen Oakleaf

Q

Comments (4)
    According to one site: Some improvements make this Oakleaf Hydrangea significantly better. Its upright habit is useful in small spaces; its rich green leaves take full sun and its large, white, well-filled flower heads are held on rigid stems and do not droop after rain.
    ...See More

Stunted growth in established oakleaf hydrangeas

Q

Comments (11)
    Since the plants are "unmonitored", we may never know the cause. Because of that, you may not be able to answer some of these next questions but if you know an answer, let me know. While some supposedly identical plants can grow differently, a big difference like this makes me wonder what i going on under the soil. The only speculation I can make at this time is maybe there is a soil nutrient or soil drainage problem, something special on the left hand side... The problem is not with the smallest plant but it is also happening to the plants away from the rightmost corner. There is a significant difference in height between the right most one and the others. It starts on the right with tallest and starts going down. As time passes, soil can become more compact and nutrients can get consumed. Also, soils that are somewhat sandy can have less nutrients than other types of soil. That is why I asked for information about fertilizing. Have you ever done a soil test? Do you have any idea how the soil drains in this area of the house? Are there times when the soil in this wall of the house gets soggy? If so, does it remain soggy much longer where the smallest plant is located? Soil that is often soggy or that does not drain well anymore can cause problems too. If they are on their own as far as watering and fertilizing, they may be getting less or too much than what they need but, the rightmost plant is getting just the perfect amount of everything. Oakleaf hydrangeas are most sensitive to root rot caused by either getting too much water so they need well draining soil. I wonder if this left area remains soggy for long periods of time and the rightmost corner is "less" wet so plants there are taller. Do they all get the same amount of sunlight and shade during the summer months (morning only until 10-11am or thereabouts) or does direct sunlight & shade strike at different times for some plants? Anything unique/special that happens or that does not happen in that corner of the property? I could not find the bottom of water downspouts to get an idea if where water might collect when it rains heavily and in what direction (water should drain away from the house) but consider that possibility too.
    ...See More

What is happening to my Oakleaf Hydrangea

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you all! First of all how embarrassing that I messed up the artists. Of course it's Dali! Thanks gardengal, I fixed my stupid mistake. I'm losing my mind, y'all! Good points regarding my "treatment obsession". I'm starting to realize that this year it would have been cheaper to dig and toss the suffering plants, and plant new ones in the Fall, than buy all these expensive chemicals. You all are right! Anyway, I think those saying root rot are right! Why did I not think about it? Pretty much every plant I have is yellowing or suffering one way or the other from this VERY wet summer - except for the grass and all the different hydrangeas (we have different panicle and french hydrangeas kinds and they are so gorgeous this year). But I forgot that oakleaf is a whole different thing! Surely that's it! I'll try to take the pictures and some leaves in a ziplock bag to the extension office, if I can take some time off during the week. But most likely it is wet feet. We only have drip irrigation in our planting beds, and believe it or not we turned it on TWO times in the Spring this year and never more! Even the grass sprinklers we only used 4 times. I'm not exaggerating when I say it has been a wet summer. It looks like I'll have to remove all my lavender, rosemary, oakleaf hydrangeas and gardenias from where they are and replace with more clay tolerant plants. Ugh, I wish the landscaper who planted them would have warned me. I guess this is an exceptionally rainy year, but still.... Any particular experience on good full sun shrubs for clay - please share! (I'll google and ask at the local nursery too, but not going to trust the landscaper alone this time). Thank you all very much!
    ...See More

Are these Oakleaf hydrangea

Q

Comments (3)
    They are two different plants. Neither is a Hydrangea. The second is a Geum. Probably G canadensIs. The first is perhaps Sanicula canadensis.
    ...See More
  • 19 years ago

Where Pam lives in zone 6 is on the low end of the Oakleaf hardiness range whereas zone 8 is ideal. There is a big difference between the two....yg

• 19 years ago

No way zone 6 is the low end of oakleaf hardiness!!! IMO, it is a true zone 6! It is pretty in the fall in zone 6! In warmer zones, they'll never see it as pretty as here growing where I live during fall season! Sorry, but that's modesty aside speaking! It is a lot tougher than any toughest macrophylla I know. My oakleaf is planted in the unprotected site among my different types of hydrangeas and yet I don't lose any teeny single stem of it. Because of that, it is almost 5 feet now in height in a span of 3 years (only 2 feet 3 years ago), with full of flowers budding all around the shrub. I have another oakleaf ('Alice') too that I just planted last year that has flower budding this year. I bought and planted it without flowers last year. Very hardy! No diedback at all. We had -10*F this winter too. If it is just -10*F, that is not a problem for oakleaf. Cold hardiness for oakleaf is usually stated at -20*F to -30*F.

Pam, that is very surprising. Warm sunshine location might help it during cold wintery days. And Sonny's guess might be right, is it in windy location? Houses around your property, fences, near the foundation, trees especially evergreen ones, are good wind stoppers.

• 19 years ago

My oakleaf is planted in a *MORE unprotected site *THAN among my different types of hydrangeas and yet I don't lose any teeny single stem of it.

• 19 years ago

Pam,

All pettiness aside, Oakleaf hydrangeas are native to the southeast. They are the state flower of Alabama and while they are more winter hardy than macrophyllas, the nurseries I looked up online list the hardiness at either 5 - 9 or 6 - 9. That is neither here nor there. The fact is that your oakleafs are dying back every winter, not every spring nor every fall, so it doesn't take a detective to figure out that the cold is the problem. Every yard has microclimates, areas that are more or less suseptible to the elements, and it doesn't matter if it grows in someone else's yard if it's dead in yours. You can winter protect it in any number of ways including moving it to the more protected location that you mentioned. Perhaps that will be a better/warmer microclimate. If that does not work, then move on to more drastic protection methods like covering in the winter. I'd hate to see you lose it, Oakleaf is one of my favs. Good luck...yg

• 19 years ago

the fall color is stunning on oakleaf hydrangeas in the southeast and lasts many weeks in our climate. all modesty aside, the red is so intense that i have used them for christmas decorations. :-)

• 19 years ago

Are there visiting deers in your property? A deer in just one visit could eat the whole shrub.

• 19 years ago

Lerissa - where do you live where it went to -10° F? It hasn't been below 0° F in the city since 1994 and the all-time record low for the city since the 1870s is -11° F, which happened in the 1930s IIRC. About the lowest it got here in the city this winter were some single digit days, the lowest of which was ~4° F or -15° C.

• 19 years ago

Jenny, I live in Southeast Philadelphia. The wind chill factor, included in it most probably. I remember I saw it in the news one night this February or March I think and was worried about my hydrangeas. I am not a meteorologist so I might be wrong and can't access any data to verify but that is what I remember from a weather news one wintery day when I was watching one of those local night-time news program. Note, that -10*F temperature was not during the daytime but during the night when the sun is not shining.

• 18 years ago

Lerissa,

If you are in SE Phily, then you are not a true zone 6 but really zone 7 which is why you generally have better performance than others in zone 6.....yg

• 18 years ago

No, I am in zone 6, at least that's what I see in the USDA zoning map as far as I am concerned and that's what my zip code (if I input it here) tells me so. I am actually losing a lot of old woods from macrophyllas this time ever since I've moved in with my husband's. I used to live in a smaller property near Center City with a smaller garden bed. In my old residence, it was also zone 6 but it was microclimatic location where my small hydrangea bed was, that it was behaving as if those macs were in 7. No any dieback up to the tips of the plants. About two houses across, there was one year, I saw my neighbor's mature macrophylla died back to the ground whereas all mine were perefectly fine. Actually, being there in Center City may be a disadvantage sometimes. Every winter there, strong wind tunnels through the streets because of too many high rise buildings, but small streets. Were I am now, the wind is dispersed and I have a bigger garden this time but I do miss my microclimatic small garden bed in my old house. That house was sold in one day it was in the market :). And I regret not digging my hydrangeas with me, the buyers wanted them stay there :(

• 18 years ago

Lerissa - YG is correct, The city is split in half with the southern half as Zone 7a as of the USDA 1990 map. There have been no below 0° F here in the city in over a decade. The wind chills have certainly been close to that range but wind chill is a people thing, not a plant thing. :-p This doesn't mean that frost pockets don't exist (my sister lives on a street at the bottom of a steep hill and it's wild to see the fog and cold air settle there) and I get some rough winter winds up in the sky where I live. But it's a given that despite some of the colder than normal winters, the overall average here has climbed considerably thanks to the urban heatsink effect of dozens of skyscrappers downtown that didn't exist before 1984. Even then, I've lived here all my life, which is well over 40 years and grew up with macs planted all around my neighborhood and not a soul protected them. Some years they had less bloom but they usually made a comeback the following year.

The zipcode finder here is not accurate unfortunately and is way off in many cases. This place took the USDA map and broke it down by state so you can see the detail better and you'll note the Zone 7 right there cutting through Philly.

There's some great data accessible from the Franklin Institute that goes back to 1872 when the first recordings were made. That location was and continues to be one of the reporting sites along with Independence Hall, and the various airports, in some cases recording the official data before the NWS came into existence. There are a number of official sites throughout the city.

Here is a link that might be useful: Franklin Institute Weather Data

• 18 years ago

Hmmmn, interesting Jenny. All the new books I have, including the new ones published by an author from Morris Arboretum from UPenn points that I am in zone 6. It is a great news if I am really in zone 7 but then again I lost so many old woods from my macs this year. It makes me wonder. I always thought that boundary of zone 7 goes to Delaware. Do you really think wind chill factor is not harmful to plants especially hydrangeas? Don't you think that strong chilly winds could dessicate their branches? I know what you mean, Philadelphians don't protect their macs and I always see every year that their shrub is covered with bloom but I usually noticed this happening with small properties near the foundation of their houses, so it makes their hydrangeas behave microclimatic.

• 18 years ago

Lerissa - the USDA that does the map currently lists Philly as "6b/7a". All of this is under revision for a new map due at some point in the future. The person responsible for posting it on the USDA website is a regular in the Mid-Atlantic Forum, who goes under the name "KimKa". :-)

Sure the winds can be harmful but it doesn't have to be the temperature of them but just the very existence of them (and especially over an extended period of time) that can be harmful to many plants that are situated in a windy site. I have had poor plants dessicated in hot dry summer winds or cool wet winds from fall Nor'easters. It's one of those things where you hope to put it in a spot that has a windbreak nearby. There is definitely a microclimate thing going on with hydrangeas in general around here but all I know is my mom has a mac that isn't near the foundation and had grown to almost 6ft and out of control a several years ago:

and has been since cut back over the past couple years. It's back up to about 5ft tall now.

I am closely following this and other threads on oakleafs because one of my sisters gave my other sister two - a "Snow Queen" and a "Snowflake" and they are planted in very different spots. One is in a west-facing location right next to the house foundation. The other is probably 150ft away from the house along a west-facing border of her backyard not far from an old established unknown lacecap hydrangea near the creek at the back of the property that was there when my sister bought the house. So it should be interesting how these two do! Both spots are sortof in protected, part sun locations, but protected in very different ways (one by the house and the other by nearby trees and shrubs). I know that the Azalea Garden down by the Art Museum has a beautiful row of oakleafs that have to be over 4ft tall with large panicles and I look forward to when they bloom!

• 18 years ago

Very interesting post Jenny! When I get the chance later, I will post my oakleaf picture last year of dated May 28th and this time's. I was very surprised to see the growth difference in just one year. And last year's blooms were much earlier than this year's, right now the panicles haven't really opened yet, maybe because of the colder weather we have this year in the area. Even my clematis and other perennials are blooming late.

• 18 years ago

Oh yeah... there are a bunch of things that are running late now. It was weird but earlier in spring, the daffodils and later tulips were blooming together because of the little warm spell but now other things are behind. My clematis is only about half as big as it was this time last year.

I was by my sister's yesterday BBQing and caught some pics of her babies. They were 1 gallon plants. She had removed the tags and forgot what she planted where...lol... But judging by the bloom on one, it looks to be the "Snowflake" (which is supposed to be a double). It's wild but when she planted it, she had cleared the area and now it's overgrown again with pernicious garlic mustard that she is continually removing:

Bloom closeup:

And judging by the doubling in growth of the other, I am thinking the below is the "Snow Queen", which is supposed to eventually get big:

She already moved a peony and I bet that clump of daylilies are going to have to move too. LOL My sister has always loved oakleafs so hopefully these will do okay for her!

• 18 years ago

They look great in the pics Jenny, but I don't know if you can compare the Oakleaf performance by the locations alone as SnowQueen is supposed to be more cold hardy than most of the other cultivars. It is the one listed as cold hardy to zone 5 (with some winter dieback if not protected) by UConn and UFLA agri sites.

As for the zone numbers game, I drew reference from the same USDA zone chart that Jenny posted the link to, but I can also attest to the warmer climate just by believing my eyes. I visit the Delaware River Valley twice a year. Spring and Fall. (Grew up close to the Delaware Water Gap) I monitor the fall foliage carefully to plan my trips and the one thing I know for sure is that (year after year) there are 3 or 4 places in the northeast that are just starting high fall color when all of the surrounding areas (north of the Mason Dixon line) are totally finished with the show. Those places are: Boston harbor area, Long Island, south Jersey and southeast Pennsylvania all listed at zone 7 and all still have foliage well into November with SE-PA and SW-NJ lasting the longest of all. As I said previously, microclimates abound but, SE PA is definitely much warmer than the Water Gap in NE PA which is listed as zone 6.......yg

• 18 years ago

Thanks for the additional info yg! Look forward to seeing how these babies do. The oakleafs are very dramatic - particularly when mature.

• 18 years ago

I just planted a 3 yr old SnowQueen in Feb 2005 and I am not exaggerating when I say it has doubled it's size. It is almost as big as me. (let me also say that I am not the tallest person at 5'0) It is growing like a weed in every direction with many new stems. It doesn't look like I'm going to get blooms this year but that's a sacrifice I am more than willing to endure in light of the incredible and healthy growth phase that is happening now. (and we still have at least 4 months of growing season left down here) Although I love the blooms, Oakleaf is all about the leaves to me anyway. It looks great even without blooms. I will try to post a before and after pic toward the end of the season. I have heard that they are slow growers up north but nothing could be further from the truth down here.....yg

• 18 years ago

I am posting my last year's and this year's growth of my oakleaf (specific kind unknown). It had no diedback on any stem from the past winter. And although I do agree that being near the East Coast gives me an advantage than other Western zone 6 or the more inland, for me it is still a challenge keeping alive the old woods of tougher macrophyllas (like Nikko). Without the wind chill factor, I believe my macs hydrangeas would survive better from the winter. Since the USDA zoning doesn't consider wind chill factor, I would be on a more conservative estimate of my zone regarding my hydrangeas that bloom on old wood. So really I am in zone 6b.

My oakleaf last year: May 05, 2004...

This year: May 30, 2005...

The railing of the deck is at 5 feet in height from the ground.
    Every tip of this oakleaf shrub, whether thick or thin has panicle right now. As you can see, last year's panicles had bloomed already around this time of the year. My clematis last year (05/27/2004) was in full bloom around this time but not yet this year. And yes Jenny, my tulips were amazing this spring!!! The blooms lasted for so long! Even the squirrels had been cooperating and did not cut off my tulip blooms this spring, as if they too were appreciating the beauty of them. My hostas started sprouting and there the tulips still lingered, complementing the young colors of the hostas' leaves. I wish I would always have that lovely tulips-hostas combo every year in spring.

I don't really worry much about oakleaf cold hardiness. Jenny, I think your sister's oakleaf will be fine. Such a tiny shrub and yet it has a flower! As I said, I planted an 'Alice' oakleaf that had no flowers last year, this year I see that it will have some, a proof that it has developed flower buds last fall and survived the winter.

To everybody, it has been a great discussion! My friend who lives in North New Jersey near Manhattan has been asking me for advice on what kind of macrophylla she should plant. I always thought that she must be in zone 5 but looking at the new(?) USDA zone map points that she is just like where my zone is, which is 7 too. Anyway, I told her to plant Endless Summer because I have the best result from it among macs.

• 18 years ago

You know, the growth on these seems sortof scary! LOL I'm hoping my sister has enough space for the "Snow Queen" where she has it now. It's not far from a "Burning Embers" macrophylla, although I suppose she could attempt to train it to grow more more towards the front yard (it is sortof on the NW corner in a west-facing raised bed).

Lerissa - your "baby" loves you! :-D And yep, the late-spring bloomers are running a bit late this year. My clematis is about 1/2 the size that it was last year this time and my peonies are almost 2 weeks late. :\ And yeah, that little "Snowflake" was a 1 gallon but just as healthy as can be. The sister who bought it had mail-ordered and didn't realize the size but the bloom on it seemed to make her feel better about the gift. :-p

• 18 years ago

Can any shrub that grows over 2 ft in a year be considered slow growing? Not in my book. Just a guess Lerissa, but based on the leaf shape and on the way that the blooms on your Oakleaf are held upright, it looks like SnowQueen to me. I've read that Alice,SnowQueen, and PeeWee are very much alike except for size (largest to smallest respectively) and it's already too large, too soon, to be a PeeWee. I would be interested to hear (read) if anyone in a colder zone has experienced this kind of rapid growth.....yg

• 18 years ago

Close-up blooms of the unknown oakleaf: Dated 2004/June/08.

Correction in my earlier post. Last year's shrub is dated May 28th, 2004 not May 5th, 2004.

That unknown oakleaf is from Home Depot. You know how that store is, just listed as "Hydrangea Quercifolia". However, it is certainly cold hardy than any tougher macrophyllas (except my Endless Summer which had no dieback too).

• 18 years ago

PamRitchie, I'm sorry your having trouble with your Oakleaf Hydrangea. For the life of me, I can't figure out why your having any trouble at all. I also live here in Kentucky and am a Landscape Designer for a garden center in Lexington. I've had Oakleaf Hydrangeas in my landscape for many years and have put them in numerous landscape designs I've done even as far north as Maysville (in Mason County bordering the Ohio River). Never, even during the bitter cold in the winter of 1994, have I even lost a sprout due to cold damage.

You say, " It dies back to the ground every winter. " but yet it sends up new sprouts every spring? Are you sure we're talking about Hydrangea quercifolia, the Oakleaf Hydrangea here? It been my experience that if an Oakleaf gets this stressed the whole thing usually dies, but yet yours comes back every year?

I have lost whole Oakleafs due to excess water plus clay soil conditions. Especially last year when we had the second wettest year on record. Something just doesn't add up.

Why don't you post us a picture of the shrub and the conditions that surround it? That may help us figure out this problem.

Lee

• 18 years ago

In my experience (zone 5b/6) oakleafs are slow growing until established. 2 ft. of growth in a year? Not up here, and especially not when first planted. Also, up here, until established they can suffer a lot of dieback.

• 18 years ago

I moved it to an inside corner of the house that gets afternoon shade, but full morning sun. It will be protected from winter winds. It has already grown to 2 1/2 feet tall and is getting ready to bloom. This plant must not bloom on 2nd year growth. It died all the way back to the ground and now is is going to bloom. I moved it around the 10th of april.

• 18 years ago

Pam,

Are you sure this plant is an Oakleaf???? They set this year's blooms on last years wood. In other words, they overwinter the buds that form this year's blooms. If yours died back to the ground, it would be almost impossible to have blooms coming right now.

Are the leaves very large and shaped like those of a red oak tree? Got a picture?....Lee is right, something isn't adding up here. Sounds like you may have a Paniculata or some kind of Viburnum instead of an Oakleaf....yg

• 18 years ago

I am trying to set up a link. Hope it works

Here is a link that might be useful: garden pictures

• 18 years ago

Pam - if the first picture on the page from your link is what you are talking about, then that is not an oakleaf hydrangea. It looks like a macrophylla hydrangea. Maybe "Annabelle"... but owners of that one might know for sure because I am sure there are other whites around. "Annabelle" is a mac that blooms on new growth so it just might be that though - especially since you indicate your hydrangea dies to the ground each year.

• 18 years ago

Yes, it is the first picture. The flowers are turning pink around the edges,but are white in the center.

• 18 years ago

And now our mystery is solved. Definitely not the Oakleaf Hydrangea. I thought something just wasn't adding up. Cold injury every year here in Kentucky and blooming on new wood, I didn't think so.

Looks like HYDRANGEA ARBORESCENS 'ANNABELLE' to me. I hope it likes it's new home and does well for you. If you have any room at all in your landscape, do try and get yourself an Oakleaf Hydrangea. They're my favorite flowering shrub. Plus, super nice maroon-red fall color.

Lee D.

• 18 years ago

"Annabelle" is a favorite of mine! Hardy as a bone, bloom reliably, large snowball-like flowers. Enjoy!

• 18 years ago

Annabelle?...Looks like a macrophylla to me...maybe Mde Emile? She starts white and then fades to pink (or blue) and is very hardy. I don't have Annabelle yet, but it doesn't look like the pics I've seen. Do you Annabelle growers think it looks like one?.....yg

• 18 years ago

i have other paniculatas but not 'annabelle' and i agree that it looks more like a macrophylla. the leaves look too large, shiny and fleshy for a paniculata.

• 18 years ago

I vote for some sort of Macrophylla also. Paniculatas or Arborescens wouldn't die back to the ground for five years. The habit and leaves look like Macrophylla to me anyhow.

And it could start out with a whitish flower as you are seeing now and then later on show its true colors which could be white, blue or pink.

In which case, moving it probably isn't going to help you get blooms. For you, like me, if you want consisent blooming from this plant, you're going to have to do some sort of overwintering. Or trade it in on a Blue Billow or an Endless Summer.

Hay.

• 18 years ago

Have uploaded some more, better pictures. maybe thhis will help identify this Hydrangea.

Here is a link that might be useful: more pictures

• 18 years ago

Definitely a Hydrangea macrophylla (mophead). Not even a white variety at all!!!! This baby is blooming on the pink side. Boy has this been a roller coaster ride!! Probably will never know exactly what cultivar, but it looks like it runs along the Nikko/Dooley/All Summer Beauty lines.....It died to the ground and you already have these blooms? Maybe some buds on the crown survived.....yg

• 18 years ago

I have a five year old well established oak leaf hydrangia that has never put out one flower head. It's in sandy loam, receives western sun after 1:00 pm, gets adequate moisture, some what sheltered

I have asked all my Master Gardener friends and get all kinds of answers i.e acidify the soil, too much sun, but nothing works. Since they bloom on old wood I do not prune at all. It doesn't seem to put out buds on old wood or else they die off in the winter. It dies back about 1/3 over the winter

We drive by gardens every day with Oak Leafs covered with bloosoms

about the only use it has right now is a magnet for Japenese beetles, better it than my roses

I'm ready to jerk it and put in a P G

any suggestions

• 18 years ago

derfy,

Anyway you could post a picture? That would be very helpful....yg