SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chuck_gw

another nutrient question

18 years ago

Hi, I am using an off the shelf liquid plant food in my new pipe system.. This product is using urea as the major source of nitrogen. Because the urea will not undergo any microbial action in my 100% Perlite medium, I understand that the urea nitrogen componet of the plant food concentrate will not be converted to a useful form that my plants can use. Assuming that all the other components are useful , I have been using liquid calcium nitrate to supply the nitrogen. My question is related to determining the correct ammount to add. If my plants like a total TDS of 950 ppm, but the recommended level of nitrogen is listed as 400 ppm, I have assumed to this point that a workable procedure might be as follows. My tap water reads around 420 on my meter. I have added enough of the off the shelf plant food to bring the reading up to around 750, and enough calcium nitrate to bring the reading up to around 950. The balance of the off the shelf product is 10-10-10. With out the nitrogen it would seem to be 0-10-10 until I mix in the calcium nitrate. However, To what degree of conductance the various elements of the mix might have is somewhat confusing. If I need the nitrogen component to be 400ppm, perhaps I should add the calcium nitrate first to raise the overall ppm of the tap water to around 820 and then add the off the shelf product to bring the overall level to the desired 950. So far, my plants seem to be happy and growing well after several days of this mis-treatment. The reason for all the above mixing is to save time and money as the off the shelf liquid plant food is cheap. The liquid calcium nitrates is also low priced. At least it seems inexpensive, The total amount of nutrient I can make up is probably 100 gallons for around $10 dollars (for a level of around 1000 ppm). How close to retaining the 10-10-10 level is unknown, and questionable. I have read some other postings where people are buying many different ingredients and using digital gram scales, or the retorts like "go take a chemistry class". That's fair, but just by chance, maybe someone here on the hydro forum might have worked through something simular in the past, and may care to share their expirence. Thanks, chuck

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor