SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tcharles26

New to Hydrangea- Damaged Deformed Foliage

tcharles26
18 years ago

I purchased two hydrangea from a local nursery last year. One I gave to my mother in law and it flowered pink that year. I kept a larger one, same variety, that did not flower. I planted it in a very large clay pot. (Here in San Antonio Texas it is very hot and the soil is poor and alkaline so I thought the container was a good idea.) The plant was potted in miracle grow potting mix and augmented with a small amount of greensand and seaweed fertilzer. The container sits on my covered deck, at the edge of where the cover ends, so it doesn't get quite as hot as some of my other containers and gets a little shade. The porch light does keep a small amount of light on it at night. No flowers last year but it was a big pretty leafy plant as long as I applied lots of water. I occasionally applied weak miracle grow or some stinky fish emulsion I top dressed with a small amount of peat moss once or twice.

I left it outside much of the winter but when it froze (pretty rare here)I would just stick it in the garage for a day or two. I watered very sparingly in the winter.

I pruned it pretty agressively early this spring because my dogs started that process for me by chewing some of the bare branches. Also, I'm new to this one and I didn't realize it would only flower on old wood.

This year the plant has come back (with a few flower buds) but there is a lot of damaged, deformed, twisted foliage. Many leaves are slightly yellow and some came in slightly irregular and curled. Others are perfect. No spots or anything, and it's not water stress (I've neglected to water it before and I know what that looks like)

Since early spring I've applied half strength miracle grow fertilzer a couple of times, a few tablespoons of ironite and kelp meal and drenched with a very diluted aluminum sulphate mixture twice (about a week apart). I thought maybe the alkaline soil / mineral deficiency was the problem. (also I'd like the few flowers it produces this year to be blue) Even containers become alkaline here becuase of the hard water which has plenty of lime and other minerals (I have never tested the PH)

This regimen has not helped that much but now there is some silvery white residue on the leaves (Im guessing from the aluminum)

So, any ideas or reccomendations? Why are so many leaves so messed up? I'm not an experienced gardener by any means, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)