SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

PeeWee oakleaf - will it work in this spot.?

mxk3 z5b_MI
16 years ago

I have a spot in the front of my house that is giving me a headache because it is about 3' away from a large Japanese maple (not the dwarf variety) and about 8-10' away from the trunk of a large, mature regular maple.

The soil itself isn't bad, the problem is the root competition from both maples and resultant dryness. I am able to dig holes with no problem, I just have to break up the masses of surface roots to do so.

I did some re-arranging of my front beds last summer, and I really, really need some "bones" in this particular spot. I'm debating on placing one PeeWee oakleaf, as on the opposite side of the bed there are four established Snow Queen, and the PeeWee would offer congruence to the bed. (need a shorter shrub in this particular spot though).

I'm thinking the oakleaf may work because the others are also planted ~10' away from the same large maple (just on the opposite side), and while I had to water the heck out of them for the first two seasons, they did establish beautifully and now only need supplemental watering during a dry spell or if it's very windy.

What do you guys think? The main difference between the two spots is the PeeWee would be in more sun, I'd say from about 1:00-ish through the evening, and it would have more root competition from the old, established Japanese maple.

I'm tired of trying to establish things in this area that just don't work so would appreciate honest opinions/experiences. Some shrubs I've tried in years past: Fothergilla, Knockout rose. Perennials: Peony, Japanese anemone. None of these did well. BAH!

Comment (1)