SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hey_j

Got these hosta, today--talk me out of a couple?

Janice
14 years ago

Okay--talk me out of one:

How about 'Blazing Saddles'?

The rest I know I want for sure are:

(all in nursery defined 'gallon' pots)

Silver Bay

Rainforest Sunrise

Grand Tiara (gallon pot crammed)

Pizzazz

Mississippi Delta

Pineapple Upside Down Cake (huge--crammed pot)

Sea Gulf Stream

But--if you have reasons I should not keep any one on the list, please let me know!

I spent WAY TOO MUCH $$$!!!

I also received in the mail from an ebay win, one eye each:

Linda Sue

Praying hands (sure looks ugly)

Lakeside Dragonfly

Am expecting shortly to receive, from ebay wins (one-eyes):

Journey's End (lost a large pot of this over the winter)

Atlantis

Blue Hawaii

Deep Blue Sea

Amazing Grace

Inspire Greatness

Alex Summers (lost last summer due to Southern Blight)

Spartacus

A Many Splendored Thing

Boy did I go over my so-called 'Hosta budget' this year. Lots of PB&J's for awhile! ;o)

Comments (22)

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, and on the list I purchased today in the gallon pots, add Spilt Milk as a possible 'return'?

• weed30 St. Louis
    14 years ago

I have Blazing Saddles - received as a gift. It is "OK". It is a good grower, but nothing special in my book.

I am jealous of your "Pineapple Upside Down Cake (huge--crammed pot)" I have one, but it got hit by voles. I potted it up, but what should be it's "leap" year ain't happening. I have seen photos of mature ones, and they are really knockouts.

Sea Gulf Stream is on my list. What the heck is not to like about

• Related Discussions

i got a couple of spiky balls that are datura seeds

Q

Comments (7)
    Since the pods are still green, if they aren't naturally cracking open, I doubt you will get many, if any viable mature seeds out of them. The balls themselves are not seeds, they are the seed capsules, seed pods. Each pod contains many, many seeds. You can try drying the pod and then collecting the seeds out of it, but honestly, like I said, I dont think you'll get many if any viable mature seeds. Good luck, I hope you at least get a few good ones. If your neighbor gets any more seed pods, wait till they start to crack open, then remove the pod & harvest the seeds.
    ...See More

A couple of unknowns for guess that hosta

Q

Comments (11)
    Being in pots over the winter can sometimes cause the leaves to not look quite the same shape and size as those in the ground, so it will be tough to ID these I think. The first one doesn't really look like Montana Aureomarginata to me. Just look at the vein spacing and you will see that they are different. The NOID is also a lot darker green and I don't recall MA having those red petioles. The color and shiny surface reminds me of Queen Josephine, but the shape isn't right. I don't have any guesses on the second one, but it doesn't look like Ooh La La to me. I've grown a lot of them and this really isn't the right color or pattern. Sorry I can't help more definitively. Chris
    ...See More

Couple mini hostas ... ID please?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hmmm...I'm really doubtful they are minis. I would take anything boxed or bagged with a grain of salt. To me...the first looks like Gold Standard and the second looks like fortunei 'Albo-picta'. Time will tell...
    ...See More

A couple Updated Photos -- Full Sun Hosta Update

Q

Comments (3)
    Francee sounds very familiar to me, I think that must be what it is. Thank You Jamie
    ...See More
  • Eleanor B
    14 years ago

Ok . . . personally, I haven't had luck with Rainforest Sunrise. I think I've purchased it twice and neither came back in the spring.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Of all the hostas I bought from Hallson's, the only one I lost was Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Maybe it was just me, but I didn't lose any others. They all sound nice.......

• weed30 St. Louis
    14 years ago

Well if we're talking about underperfomers, I do have a 5 year old Alex Summers that just keeps getting smaller. If he ends up finally disappearing, I will not replace.

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

Hey! We're not here to talk you OUT of buying hostas! lol
    If you ask me, you need to buy another dozen before the weekend is over - now get to it.
    Pam

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, Pam!! You're the devil!!! I've been SOOO bad, and you're no help at all!!! LOL

Well, I had 'Rainforest Sunrise' before, too, and it did the same for me, ronnie!!!

I had a small couple of eyes of Pineapple Upside Down Cake, too, anitamo, and it disappeared on me, too,
    but I just (today) found one small eye popping up after going missing for two years!

I sort of had my doubts about the 'Blazing Saddles', as I indicated and I think I will return that one,
    and maybe the RFS, though it seems to be very popular. I loved it the one summer I had it, too, but if
    it's not going to return--I can do better with something else!!!

Weed--I lost the 'Alex Summers' due to the blight thing, otherwise it was looking really great after two years!
    You might check to see if you're having any root competition from a tree or shrub nearby, but you've probably
    already thought of that! I had the same experience with a 'Bob Dean' hosta--and it's in a raised bed with no
    competition, and now I'm down to one eye after having it crammed into a pot originally, too!

I'm going to wait a couple of days and hopefully more of you will weigh in with your thoughts!
    I sure appreciate your input! It really helps me decide which ones to return as I really want to
    return maybe two, afterall!

• tomahawkclaim
    14 years ago

My Rainforest Sunrise is just fine in its 3rd year. The form of Praying Hands is so special that I keep it in a prominent place -- it gets lots of comments. Nance

• hosta_freak
    14 years ago

I can't really talk you OUT of any of those,Janice,but I bought a pair of PUDC's a couple years ago. One of them reverted to Pineapple Poll,and the other is so small,and doesn't seem to be increasing at all. I've had Praying hands since last year,and believe me,it doesn't get any prettier! I guess it has to grow on you,(pardon the pun)! I still can't believe they picked it,over Liberty!! Good luck with your new plants! Now,if you can just find a place to put them all? Lol! Phil

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for commenting 'tomahawk' and Phil!

About that RFS--what was and is the conditions it was/is planted in? The ones I divided
    and planted were in a raised bed, with an ash tree (trimmed high)! I have a Frances Williams
    in that bed nearby and it has flourished there for years.

Hey Phil---you're right about that--WHERE?? will I plant these all! If I could be 100% secure in
    planting in my barrels and pots I would do just fine! However, I've determined not to plant above ground,
    anything I highly value (or is high priced to replace) unless I can divide it and plant part
    in the ground directly!

And, you said in another post, that my yard is "a jungle"! That's exactly what Steve says ALL THE TIME,
    but I feel it's more of *a paradise* to me. ;o) I always took that statement (from him) as a negative, but, finally
    I explored more deeply into his meaning, and he confessed he really does like the effect, but, he's just not one
    to put much in a space (or thinks he's not) and I've maxed out all spaces, in the garden especially, as you can attest
    to--having been in my garden. When are you coming back this way, btw?

However--I do still have grass to mow so there's always a possibility of eliminating more of it and increasing
    the hosta territory!! heehehehe!

• davemidohio
    14 years ago

Janet,
    What Pam said - go buy more. BTW, did you know that Knollwood's are 20% off this week. Sorry, that was probably a dumb question. I'm sure you did!!

George

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I can send you a piece of Alex Summers if you want - I have 2 HUGE ones.

Praying Hands will not get any better looking, it is butt ugly no matter what size it is.

Rainforest Sunrise is fine for me, but I have heard some people have had diffficulty, so I don't know what to tell you on that one.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

Alexa

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Whew--it's HOT AND HUMID out there today! I'm figuring out ways to acquire more *spaaaacce* for all the
    in-coming hosta and the newly acquired ones at the KNOLLWOOD SALE----Dave!! You're right--I have it on
    my calendar from the first inkling I get about the date and I pre-shop several days ahead to see what they
    may be getting!

I was trying to remember to let you know about it, AFTER I got first dibs on what was there--ahead of you! LOL
    No--really--I was going to email you and tell you about the sale but I'm so focused on making *spppaaaace*,
    that I forgot! btw--they had the reverse of June (can't remember the name) but it seems they are so wildly popular,
    they flew off the shelves BEFORE the sale--all of them!!!

Another--BTW, Dave, if you HAVE to manage the size of Niagara Falls, and you HAVE to find someone to take a
    piece off your hands, again--I'm here!!! The one you gave me that I divided to share with Buff didn't make it in
    Spring '07 (thankfully, hers survived)!!!! But, remember me-only if you HAVE to control it to make room for what
    YOU bring back from the sale!! hehehe

Alexa--that is so nice of you to offer a piece of your A.S., but since I do have an eye coming from an ebay
    win, don't disturb yours. HUGE, you say??? Oh my--I bet they are truly awesome! Got pics.? I loved the one
    I got from Hallson's, especially as it matured and mine had 'June-like' colors that were more evident in my
    shady spot! Again--THANK YOU, for the offer!!!! :o)

• esofva
    14 years ago

Just throw 'Pineapple Upside Down Cake' over here and I will take it!! LOL!!! That is one I have on my 'want' list and think it looks great!

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I wound up taking back 'Blazing Saddles' and defeated my original intention, of saving money
    by picking up 'Fire Island' as a replacement. Who was I kidding, anyhow--right?

I'm so ridiculous!!

Alexa--if the eye I receive is teen tiny--I might take you up on your offer, afterall!!!
    I keep thinking about how you said you have TWO HUGE bunches of it and if you're still
    willing, maybe it won't have too big an impact to give me a little bit of one of them.

I just love how hosta look when they have lots of eyes and get soooo big, that I hate
    to have anyone spoil their maturity, and form this far into the season!

I find that if I HAVE TO divide one, doing it just as the eyes are appearing seems to affect
    their 'form' very little, if at all!!!

Is it true, that dividing hosta will set them back in their maturity--as I've heard and alluded to above?
    Very few of my hosta are so big (except Capt. Kirk) that they NEED dividing! That one really is a good grower
    and has filled out the whiskey barrel more than once, as I've divided it out for friends and it seems to affect
    the repeat growth very little, but I wonder if the leaves would be larger if I hadn't divided it so many times?

It just keeps on going on--this hosta-mania--doesn't it!!!

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

And what about poor Blazing Saddles, feeling all lonely and dejected. That has to be the low point in a plant's life.
    To be purchased, taken to a new home, and then returned to the garden center, only to be replaced by another plant. Oh, the pain poor Blazing Saddles is feeling right now...
    My heart aches for him...
    Pam

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL, Pam! Don't get me started!! I'll weave a tale in my head so vivid, filled with abandonment issues, pity and remorse,
    that I'll wind up getting in my car and driving all the way back to 'reclaim' or 'redeem' him!!

I know, SOMEONE will come to love him--surely no hosta need be left behind!!! Should I call the nursery and
    tell them you're 'on your way' to adopt or bail him out?

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

tears.....

Here is a link that might be useful: tears

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh my word--now you've done it--that's just cruel, Pam!!!! Sob!!!!

• Pieter zone 7/8 B.C.
    14 years ago

It's good the see all the enablers out in force in support of Janice. And while I was shocked to see J TAKE BACK BS, I was happy to see the see her addiction has not yet been cured, you'll LOVE FI, particularly this time of year, it's a wonderfully bright beacon in the yard!

Is it true, that dividing hosta will set them back in their maturity--as I've heard and alluded to above?

Any time you injure a plant it has to recover and it will be set back for a year, perhaps two or more. You end up delaying maturity and while leaf size will probably suffer in the interim, by the time it gets to be all-growed-up you couldn't tell.

• davemidohio
    14 years ago

janet,
    I am full up on hostas, so only got some annuals while at Knollwood.

About Niagara Falls, mine was at least eight eyes last year and lookin' GOOD. This year it is doing the hosta disappearing act. Two scrawny little eyes.

Piedmont Gold on the other hand is 6 feet wide - might be my fave this year!

Dave

• Janice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Pieter for your comments!:o)

Oh no, Dave! I know N.F. has been one of your favorites. Baby those two eyes and hopefully it'll be back
    in full force next year???

I'd already decided I wouldn't know where to put it anyway!!! It's gettin' bad! I've inched out more and
    more around the back beds and if I didn't have to maintain a path for the lawn tractor to get through to
    the front yard, there'd be no grass left, like ken suggests is the only way to have a proper garden space! :o)

Update on what I've returned--the 'Blazing Saddles' you already know, but today I took back 'Rainforest Sunrise'
    in exchange for another 'Krossa Regal' (can't have too many of those to fill in and add height) and another 'Earth Angel'
    one of my top 3 favorites! The one I have is tucked into a corner, flanked by a barrel of 'Blue Umbrellas' and a barrel of
    'Powder Blue' so you don't see it really well. This one, I want out and easily in view!! Love it--so much!!!

I discovered that I had purchased RFS last year and promptly lost a good portion of it BUT I found that two of the eyes
    I had transplanted to around my two *frog* ponds are doing great this year! So, if I have to buy a second of something it
    would be 'Earth Angel' instead and 'Krossa Regal'!!

This is one HUGE leaf!!

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville