SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696250

fertilizing hydrangea question

User
11 years ago

I have a question about fertilizing in the spring. Please bear with me as I talk this through. Comments and advice are very welcome. I realize the differences in growing zones requires different strategies, so...

I just read jacqueline3's post with her zone 9CA hydrangea questions and it got me wondering. She was given advice to fertilize in the spring with fast release fertilizer, I'm assuming something like an Osmocote variety.

Then thinking about it, a few days ago I read (in a post from melanievvv) advice to use cotton seed meal on hydrangea in the spring because it gives more immediate results. I'm assuming melanievvv's zone was a cooler one that jaqueline3.

Also, I've read a post somewhere that slow release (like Osmocote) needs higher temps to begin working...

With all that said and referring to hydrangea, would it be OK to put down a slow release fert first, scratched into the mulch, then cotton seed meal spread on top? The cotton seed meal would begin working with the spring rain, as the hydrangea leafs out. Then, as summer temperatures climb and the soil warms, the slow release would take over for summer. Would coffee grounds sprinkled over the mulch be beneficial too?

Of course, discontinuing any further fertilization after July as the hydrangea gets ready for fall and winter.

Is this a bad idea or a plan that might work for me? Would the on going fertilization require more than normal watering?

With cabin fever setting in, I may be over-thinking this.
;-)
Thanks for reading and, in advance, for any advice,
Deb

Comments (7)