SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19735161

Saw an Interesting Hoya (Hybrid?) Today

User
19 years ago

Well I've really lost my mind now, I discovered that I can recognize the growth habit of some Hoyas from 1/2 way across a stranger's office. These plants were perched on top of file cabinets a good 12-18" taller than myself.

On approaching the plant to confirm it, I saw it from below, & recognized the veining pattern of say, H finlaysonni or something like that. Yet when I introduced myself & asked permission to take The Plant down & look (since owner didn't know what it was), I was surprised to see the kind of splotches that my obovata has. Smaller, more irregularly shaped splotches than say a pubicalyx.

Owner doesn't know it's a Hoya, so we spoke a bit, she's gonna give me a cutting (& I'll swap her something), but I may wait a wk or so as I had to point out to her it had a couple of mealy bugs (felt I HAD to tell her as she had numerous other asst'd plants nearby, all of which could catch them).

Anyway, the leaves were largish, say maybe 3.5-4" long, elliptical shaped, w/ graceful tapering points, a fairly dark green w/ visible veining patterns, (which I can't recall if the veins were lighter or darker than the rest of the leaf). Kind of firm, bit rigid to the touch like finlaysonii, but not thick, fleshy or succulent feeling?

Does anybody recognize the sound of these leaves? I am just smitten w/ it & hope to get some to grow up & learn from & maybe swap in Spring if grown enough by then.

Any Ideas pls? TIA

PS --- is this visible veining pattern a characteristic of the Eriostemma group (of which I only have finlaysonii; I think it's part of this group?) Haven't found much to read up on for these guys. TIA again.

Karen

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH