SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christie_sw_mo

salvia coccinea 'Forest Fire' maybe - photo

christie_sw_mo
18 years ago

Saw a couple people on this forum mention that they have this one so posting a photo here. This salvia was labled 'Prairie Fire' when I bought it earlier this summer on clearance but I'm sure it was labeled wrong since there is no such thing that I can find. I think it might be Forest Fire. What do you think?

There were a bunch of tiny seedlings in the pot when I bought it so I pricked them out and planted them and several of the seedlings are already blooming.

Hope I like it. I think if it reseeds that well, I may have a thousand by the end of next summer. (worried look on face) They are VERY long blooming and showy, now if it will just attract hummingbirds I'll be happy. The seedlings all look exactly like the parent so far but hoping they will cross with my guaranitica, or greggii since I can't get either of them to reseed at all.

{{gwi:999597}}

The nursery worker says it's a perennial. Guaranitica and greggii make it through for me so maybe this one will too. Anyone in zone 6 or 7 that's leaving it outside over winter?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH