SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plantnut65

ruby throat hummingbird males

plantnut65
9 years ago

I have three males that have shown up at the feeders, one very small one has left or whatever, haven't seen him in about three weeks, the other two chase each other and all the females probably around six. This seems to be a never ending action.

One of the males is totally different from the other, when he perches, his head which is black to his shoulder, stays black, and he has a large area of red in front and almost all the way around to just before the back. If confronted with any of the other hummers (except for one of the females), all the red will turn just as black as the rest of his head and if perched he will raise both wings and the rest of his feathers seem to flair making him look considerably larger than he is.

The other male will do something similar but the red stays red, if not getting brighter, and his head stays green.

I was wondering if I have a new spices coming to my feeder, everything else is ruby throat. Another point when all the red disappears there is a very narrow area of red, probably a 1/16 of an inch wide disappearing at the shoulder. He doesn't seem to be going anywhere, and he does seem to have a female for now. When he first came I thought he was a black chin hummingbird. Because he was always agitated and even then the narrow band was red not purple.

The female he seems to get along with is different also with a dark gray area on her chest almost like a circle with circles inside circles. She stands out from the rest of the females.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus