SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fledgeling_

The little- know story of a common hummer plant , L. berthelotii

Fledgeling_
18 years ago

I Recently learned of the interesting story of this, one of my all-time favorite plants, and wanted to share it.

Sometimes known as Parrot's Beak, Lotus berthelotii is tender perennial trailing plant grown as a annual with cascading grey foliage great for edges, hanging baskets, and window boxes. It's pea-shaped beaked red flowers along the stems are lovely and very attractive to hummingbirds.

This plant is most likely extinct in the wild.

It comes from the cliffs of the Canary Islands where its blooms were highly visible along the rock faces because of the position of the plant.

"Lotus berthelotii is either extinct in the wild or exists as a few individuals on forested cliffs. As early as 1884, the species was regarded as "exceedingly rare," and collection fo horticultural purposes and habitat degradation are thought to be the reasons for its decline"- Marinelii, Janet, PLANT pp186

Even without these pressures, the existence of Lotus berthelotii as a wild plant was doomed. The flowers are of the shape and size that they are obviously pollinated by birds, probably by sunbirds. But no such birds persist in the Canaries! Self-incompatible and without a pollinator, this plant was doomed. It is not known how many different genotypes exist in cultivation, but the plant rarely produces seed. Propagation is by cuttings. If you do get seed, it might be worth your time to grow them to increase the available genotypes in cultivation. (In this writing, genotype refers to a genetically distinct individual, IE. Not originating from vegetive propagation). Interestingly, one source does list it as naturalized in North America.

Source:

I read this info at various sites, but the best info by far I found was from Janet Marineliis PLANTS, the ultimate visual reference to plants and flowers of the world, page 186.

Comments (6)