SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debgrow_gw

Do Hummingbirds Feed at Night?

debgrow
15 years ago

I have several small glass blossom-shaped feeders on stakes in the garden (I have another one that hangs from a tree over the same garden). They've been there all summer, and the hummers really like them. They love darting back and forth between the one in the tree and the ones in the garden, and it gives them more room to share. (When I had just the hanging one, they'd fuss and fight over it, so I seldom had more than one hummingbird at a time in they yard.) I even moved a couple of them to the perimeter of my patio and I've been enjoying seeing them "up close and personal" for most of the summer. Sometimes they come and hover just in front of me, checking me out (and me them!)

The other night, though, apparently the racoons found the feeders. I went out there to say good morning to the hummers and all the stakes were bent, the feeders emptied, and there were feeder parts all over the lawn. Took them all in, cleaned them, skipped a night (thinking the coons would move on), and put them back out, but the same thing happened again last night.

So, now I'm thinking I might just need to take them in at night and put them back out in the morning when the racoons have gone to sleep. I'm not crazy about adding that much additional maintenance to my feeding routine, but I'm willing to do it to keep the hummers happy. Will the hummers miss the feeders during the night if they're not there?

My other, much more complicated but probably more effective, and certainly less maintenance requiring option is to figure out a way to bend the stakes into hooks so that I can hang the feeders where the coons can't get to them.

Do all of you experts have any other thoughts? Any ideas about how to "coon-proof" a feeder?

Comments (23)