SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
firefightergardener

'Established' hostas and water/fertilizer needs

Can't seem to find much on these subjects either. Sorry for the barage of posts - it's a big gardening day for me and I'm eating lunch and learning whatever I can.

I am wondering if/when hostas become established are they OK with minimal amounts of water in Summer? The climate I live in(Pacific Northwest) is spectacularly dry between about mid-June and October. I plan on watering heavily a couple times a week as is but now I am wondering if I am going to be watering bi-weekly for the rest of my life every Summer.

Also, will Hosta suffer from lack of fertilizer over time or will their growth rates be slower if I don't fertilize? I have largely designed my gardens with laziness in mind(honest!), as I don't plan on watering/fertilizing much at all in a couple years and when I am older, I'd like to sit in my hammock or on a bench and enjoy the gardens - not tend to it all the time.

I'm crossing my fingers a bit on this as I've already invested in a lot of hostas and should have asked this question beforehand just in case.

Crossing my fingers, and thanks in advance!

-Will

Comments (12)