SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andre_z

Suitability of Areca Palm as hedge

andre_z
15 years ago

(This may be a second posting of the same text. I thought I had sent this message yesterday, but I cannont find it posted anywhere. So I am sending it again.)

We just purchased a mobile home in a park in Naples Florida and would like to do a bit of landscaping.

In particular, we would like to plant a hedge-type of screen along a windowed Florida room which faces the east and receives direct sun until about 1pm.

The soil is gravelly and rather light.

We occupy the house only from November to April, so the plants would be unattended during the summer.

Apart from esthetics, the purpose of the hedge would be to screen the side windows from the sun.

At the moment, we are considering Areca palms. We would appreciate the following information:

-Would they be suitable in terms of our soil conditions and watering requirements?

-Do they spread out with time or do they just increase in height ?

-Ideally the plant should reach a height of about 6-8 feet to provide the desired shade. How long would it take for a 4-feet areca palm to reach this height?

-Are there maintenance issues that would be a problem for us, being absent 6 months of the year?

- can one of the side of the plant be compressed ?(the plants would be one foot from the windows, inside a 2-foot strip)

Thank you for any input or advice.

André

Comments (8)