SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paul_in_mn

Emerging_in_MN, part II

paul_in_mn
12 years ago

Still waiting for so many to emerge, especially the garden north of the house. We're about 2-3 wks ahead, so no complaints - just garden fever. Gardens are still a bit too soft to be stepping into them much. Spring showers of about an inch last night and more this week. Here's a few to signal that the Northlands are starting to green up.

Blue Mouse Ears - too early to be blue, didn't get much in blooms last year.

Frosted Mouse Ears - slow to multiply for me, but seems happy where it is.

Great Arrival - third year - margins got wider and leaves rounder

Harpoon - critters set it back, but seems to have rebounded - yingeri hybrid so has those pretty spider type flowers

Key Lime Pie - growing with a vengeance - went from 6 to 17 eyes. If you want some good growing hosta look at Squash Casserole and its sports.

Pistache - a Spilt Milk sport - went from 1 to 5 eyes, may have to move in a year or so as it's supposed to be a medium sized hosta. Though it is no where near that size yet - wonder if size is guess based upon Spilt Milk.

Spartacus - 2nd year - UKhostaman's puts mine to shame

Summer Breeze - was looking sad 2 years ago, so moved it to some sun and better watering - seemed to work.

War Paint - just unfurled - got to catch the colors before they green up. Last year in a pot and colors went quick.

Solomon's Seal (variegated)- a growing favorite around hostas for me - pick some up at every garden club sale I find. Gives some height and spires are so different from mounding structure of a lot of shade plants.

Thanks for looking.

Paul

Comments (11)