SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
albaby_gw

Persistent Problems with Peppers

albaby
12 years ago

I'm still very much a rookie gardener, but I've been through a few growing seasons now, and I'm starting to get a sense of what works and what doesn't - and why. For example, I know what keeps killing my zukes and squashes (powderly mildew), and why my marigolds keep dying (my three-year old daughter keeps pulling them out).

But I can't figure out why my pepper plants keep failing.

Every season, I've planted a number of different types of peppers - different types of bells, jalapenos, cayenne, etc. For a week or two after transplanting, they seem to do fine - growth, healthy looking new leaves, the works. Then, invariably, they begin to fail. Growth gets stunted, the leaves begin to curl up - the plant just goes into almost a stasis. Any blooms will wither without setting, any stems will just blacken off at the ends. It's worse with the bells than the hotter peppers, but they all seem to have trouble.

I can't figure out what's happening. Lots of other plants are thriving in the same raised bed soil mix - eggplants, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, various lettuces and beans, herbs and marigolds (until my daughter gets 'em). Pine bark fines, sand, garden soil, and peat moss in a 5:2:2:2 ratio, with garden lime and a little Osmocote mixed in. Fertilize with FP weekly per directions. No visible pests, no blights or funguses or discoloration (though the leaves eventually get weathered after a few months).

I'm stumped. Peppers should do relatively well here in South Florida, but they're giving me the hardest time.

Alan

Comments (9)