SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
standard65

afraid of nothing, evidently

standard65
18 years ago

I may take the long way round the barn to get this back to hummingbirds, but my little garden has seen some changes this year, and this one takes the cake. they finally tore down the house closest to my garden. 5 months ago, there were 15 houses on my side of the street. now, there are 5. the private boy's academy across the street wants to buy all 5 left so they can have the city close the street, and pave it all for parking for their enormous football games. they reneged on their deal not to tear any down until they owned them all, and demolished the 10 they already own to avoid blockbusting charges, as they'd evicted all their tenants 2 years ago and stopped maintaining the properties or even mowing.

I rent, so I'm just twistin in the breeze, watching it all go down, trying to have a guerilla hummingbird garden in the middle of it all, but the owner/occupant neighbors are pretty upset with the strong arm tactics of the school, which has deep pockets and powerful alumni, and will get to do whatever it wants to anyway, I guess.

I'm going to fire my own salvo in this battle soon. I've bought bird/bee/butterfly wildflower seed packs that I'm going to scatter when they sow grass seed. if they mow regularly, why, no one will be the wiser. if they don't, I'll have a little meadow next door.

anyhow, when I first heard about the demolitions last spring, I was really worried that it would disrupt hummingbird activity here in my little world. I didn't really consider that whereas construction noise might last a season or a year, demolition noise lasts, oh, about 12 minutes per house.

this morning, the diesel shovel pictured below was scooping debris up out of the basement and dumping it in a metal rolloff dumpster. it sounded like godzilla and thunder out there. a particularly loud noise made me look out the window, and there was mr. ruby-throat at the far feeder about 10 feet to the right of this garden bed, maybe 20-25 feet at the most from the swinging back end of the diesel shovel. this hummer was not afraid of that shovel, and I bet he'd have chased it off if it got too close to his feeder!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus