SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_tlc_gw

Congrats to Sylvia!!

mrs_tlc
13 years ago

Got my new issue of Florida Gardening Magazine the other day and hubby (mr_tlc) who also has been frequenting this forum pointed out an article called "Sylvia's Secrets". I picked it up to read it and knew right away from the pictures that it was our Sylvia from this forum!! Congrats on the article and great picture of you too!!

Comments (57)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    13 years ago

Very impressive! But somehow, not so very surprising - I am constantly impressed by Sylvia's wonderful garden = )

& thank you so much for sharing that link - looks like a great resource for simple, yummy recipes - definitely bookmarked!

• whgille
    13 years ago

NC - Thank you. Maybe one day you can come and see the garden yourself.:)

Thank you Lou - Those are very nice words! I should also thank the Florida magazine for publishing the article about my small garden. I am just one of you out there trying to learn veggie growing in our climate.

Thanks a lot Carol - I am very happy to share my garden and what I learn with others and I am constantly learning from you and all the other wonderful gardeners that contribute to this forum. And Carol, you will like the new link with the food, it is always a good idea to try new dishes. I would also like to add that Bill and his lovely wife Anna had a great idea about creating this food site.

Silvia

• Related Discussions

My Wife Carol's Creations

Q

Comments (18)
    Congratualtions on becoming Grandparents! Such joy and love Holley Brielle will receive from such loving GP's Carol your quilt is so beautiful! I have always admired quilters, their patience in designing putting it together, sewing each piece so that it comes together with such artistry. Olivia's name is darling! Kirk I love it when Hubby's beam with love and pride at their beautiful wifes and of course their creative talents! God Bless You both Con el favor de Dios NanaGrandma
    ...See More

I did it !!!!

Q

Comments (43)
    Well today it finally happened, I was happily raking shredded leaves into a bag when a car stopped right next to me. I knew before I even looked up it was the police. 100% busted. I looked up and smiled, and He said "you know things are bad when people start bagging grass" I laughed and told him I'm bagging the leaves for my compost." He said "know exactly what you're doing... I compost too. It's good stuff." He proceeded to give me tips on how I should add lime to control odors. after a minute or so of that he said "well, have fun". and drove away. I ended up getting 37 bags today. I'm DONE! No more for me thanks. Oh, yeah and the street sweeper was picking them up. I felt like I was being chased. lol Thanks Sylvia, I almost took the day off. Tomorrow they all be gone. Total this year 91 bags.(OMG) :)Laura
    ...See More

Hoya curtisii

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi Sylvia Marie, Nice to see you, long time no 'see'. Woo-hoo, congrats on this blooming, not one a person sees around in bloom too often. So it's blooming in cooler temps, in shade? Interesting, may pls. I ask how long you've had it or how old it is? (To bolster my hopes that my own Curtisii might do same someday soon.) Also, is it fragrant? Lovely to see, thanks for sharing it & congrats again! Pirate Karen
    ...See More

Malibu Premier Pictures

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks Jeanne, Jane & Candy. I went easy on all of you, we have over 700 pictures. We stayed the week in Calif. figured as long as we were there, might as well see the sights. I thought it was an educational trip for my grandson too, to see the Pacific Ocean, the beaches, Hollywood, and OH the mountains. WE thought we had mountains in the midwest, but the ones in Malibu are beautiful and HUGE, but really tricky to drive on those mountain roads. Not something I'd want to do on a regular basis. Calif. can also keep their "insane" freeways, it's a nitemare. I bet people who live there dread going anywhere as rush hour seems to be anytime you get on the freeway! I'll bet they train Indy drivers on the 405 freeway! LOL I still love Florida, much slower pace, but it's nice to see other places too. I had no idea what all went into making a film & then getting it to the theaters. They now have to submit it to film festivals & find a distributor who will want to show it in the theaters, plus get license rights for music etc. A long process, so that is why it was a limited showing right now. I feel like I just got home this summer & would have to leave again. I missed so many yard sales, didn't really get anything new for my tables this winter. June was Nashville, August was Missouri and end of Sept thru Oct was Calif. I think I could get used to being a world traveler!! LOL Thanks again for the warm welcome back, I wasn't sure anyone would remember me. I need to find time to look at everyones Halloween & Fall decor here. I was going to say, things should slow down now for us, but we met a fan at the premier who flew in from Norway & she is stopping by in a few weeks to stay overnite & visit with Dustin & us again on her way to the Rick Springfield Cruise. Oh well, never a dull moment in our house! LOL I will be back soon!!!!
    ...See More
  • abnorm
    13 years ago

Congratulations Silvia......

What "month" issue ?.....I need to pick one up at the news stand.....

• amberroses
    13 years ago

What a nice complement that people can recognize you just by your wonderful gardens! Silva, you well deserve to be be an official Florida garden guru.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you Abnorm. The article is in the current issue, I guess Dec- Jan? I still don't have mine, hoping it arrives today.:)

Silvia

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you Amber, I did not see your post. All of us that grow edibles should be glad that the Florida magazine thought that a small, edible garden is worthy of looking in their pages. If we succeed, is all of us together always trying...

Silvia

• funnylady
    13 years ago

Got my Flordia Gardening in the mail yesterday and right away knew it was Silvia. Good going girl

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Wow Silvia, congratulations!!!!!! Now I've got to go find a copy of this magazine, hope it's available at a newsstand somewhere. I'm not surprised at all....

And congrats to Willy too, 60 lbs is quite an accomplishment, sounds like you have him on the right track. I just started too, only lost 16lbs so far :-( :-)

Tom

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you Funnylady - You probably recognized me because you saw me last time in the Biosphere?, time flies, was it last year? I don't remember,lol.

Tom, I am glad you are joining us for the party through the web,lol. Since you already know me, you won't be scared,:). Hope you find the magazine and good news about your weight loss, keep up the good work!

Silvia

• jwahlton
    13 years ago

Silvia

Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to have to look for that magazine. You are an inspiration, and so kind when I bug you with my e-mails.

Julia

• hester_2009
    13 years ago

For those of you looking for the magazine......
    I worked in bookstores over the years and magazine deliveries were always problamatic. Even Florida Gardening Mag addressed this by stating that it was hard to get their magazine out to stores because of wholesaler problems.
    So here is the info on the magazine and perhaps you can contact them directly for a copy of this issue or maybe just information on where you might be able to buy it.
    Flordia Gardening
    PO Box 500678
    Malabar, FL 32950
    Phone 321-951-4500
    fax 321-728-8493
    email info@floridagardening.com
    Hopes this helps
    I love this mag - always something interesting in it and the piece about Sylvia was great!
    Hester

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you Julia, and I am happy that I can be of help.

Thank you Hester for all that info and I am glad that you like the article.

Now, I finally got my magazine today, so I can see what others saw before me. Thank you again Bill, it is very well written and I love the pictures! Thank you Ana, you did a great job on the photos.

And Tom you are so funny! thank you very much for the seeds, I guess that I got my early Christmas, I was so shocked! and even Willy was laughing saying I did not know you were Cleopatra, lol.

Silvia

• tomncath
    13 years ago

My pleasure Silvia, I thought you two would get a kick out of that, refer Willy back to this post ;-)

Enjoy the seeds, I know you'll share them with everyone. My backyard garden is just too small for much so we're just going to stick with a few staple veggies...we hope to see you, Willy and Cheryl soon.

Tom

• annafl
    13 years ago

Sorry I'm late to the party! Congratulations, Silvia! I had gotten my magazine but not looked at it yet, so once I saw this I had to run get it. Silvia, I'll say it again, you are an inspiration, and it is so generous of you to share your secrets with all of Florida! You have shared them with all of us, but I hadn't written many of them down, so I am glad to have them in an article. Thank-you for your kindness. By the way, that is a great picture of you! Congrats again.

Anna

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Congratulations Sylvia...you certainly are most deserving of it!! Now, I will have to find this magazine!

• freya_lol
    13 years ago

Silvia, Hello from NOVA!

Since Thanksgiving, we are still in Fairfax,Va! Going back to FL in a week.

I was so happy that finally you got published, although I have not seen the magazine, yet. I will call today to get a copy...Can not wait to read it, my friend...

Congratulations!! Next stop Better Homes and Garden!

Hugs,

Freya

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Next stop, Better Homes and Garden!

I agree, the recipe pictures are always "to die for" too, I'll be expecting to see an article in a national publication soon ;-)

Tom

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you, thank you Tom, you are so nice and optimistic! Any success is yours too, we are in all of this together.:)
    Talking about the weight loss, last time Willy went on a business trip he had a partner that was younger than him, and he could not even breath at night so that he had to travel with equipment and he said that he could not play with his young son. That did it for Willy, he said when he came back "I am tired of being big" now is vegetable time! the humble vegetables are King! he still gets his protein but everything is being measured. And Tom, when I see you again, I want to see an improved you with all the weight loss, your health will thank you for that.

Anna, thank you very much and you are never late for a party! I am glad that you like the articles and the pictures, thanks to Bill and Ana, it came to be. It was not my idea that is for sure and I am happy that the edibles are highlighted in such a prestigious magazine for all of us in Florida.

Thank you Pug, I remember you and your love of mangoes from the first day that I posted, the publication is all our achievement, I could not be inspired if any of you were not around to see the veggies.

Thank you Freya my friend for believing in me, I hope that one day I will be deserving of all this praise. Just remember that for now, I am just like all of you, still learning, and that never ends, we all learn from each other.

Silvia

• stuartwanda
    13 years ago

I must put in my "Congratulation" also! I picked up some old mag. from the American Legion and have enjoyed them.
    Today I'm going to get a subscription so hopefully I'll see the article!

• CaptTurbo
    13 years ago

I was just having my sweetheart look at some of Sylvia's pictures of her gardens and dishes she had made from her garden a few days ago. I told her that "this lady should be in a magazine and have her own gardening TV show"!

How funny that the next thing I know, she's a published super star! Well deserved. I hope I can find a copy for myself.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you Stuartwanda, I hope that you like the article.

Captturbo - Thank you, so very nice of you to think of me in such a positive way. I really love gardening and cooking and I am so happy to be able to share my hobbies with all of you and the best compliment is that you shared it with your sweetheart, I hope that you find a copy...

Silvia

• smallfern
    13 years ago

Where can I buy this magazine? I've gone to counters at Publix, Walgreens, Winn Dixie & CVS ...nada. Do bookstores like Books a Million or Borders sell it? I've seen so many pics of Sylvia's garden & harvests, I'm just dying to see them all in print. And I'll get to see Sylvia's pic too! I'm afraid that by the time I send in a subscription & it gets processed, this issue might be sold out.

Congratulations Sylvia! You're famous!

fern

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi Fern, thank you and is very sweet from you to have such a nice words. I hope that you find the magazine and like I said before it is all of us together with our questions and answers that made it all possible, in this case, we are all famous!:)

Silvia

• billbrandi
    13 years ago

Congrats!! Can't wait to read.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you Bill- And we all love reading your poems!

Silvia

• castorp
    13 years ago

Congratulations, Silvia!! I'm glad you like the way it came out (I was a bit worried about not doing your garden justice). Thanks so much for letting me do the piece. Ana and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks to all of you for reading it.

And congrats to Willy!

Bill

• saldut
    13 years ago

Congrats to Sylvia ! and thanks to Sylvia, my Sweet Potatoes are fantastic ! she encouranged me and I went and bought some organic sweets from Publix and cut the eyes and planted them, I can't believe the sweets I am getting !! we had a dozen at Thanksgiving and they taste great, I plan on setting aside an area in the back-yard for a continuous supply.... well worth the tiny effort, after all, sweets are .99 cents per lb. in Publix.... Thanks again Sylvia ! sally

• olyagrove
    13 years ago

Sylvia, congratulations! Such honor is well deserved :)

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Well, I'd been meaning to subscribe so this seemed like an opportune time. I called the number Hester posted and talked to Wae, very nice gentleman. They take phone orders and promised current issues will go out with new subscriptions through next week :-)

Thanks Hester!

Silvia, we are all famous

If we're famous, you're INFAMOUS! ;-)

Tom

• whgille
    13 years ago

Bill, you can take all the honors for the great article and Ana for the beautiful photos. I only did the small job of opening my little garden to both of you. And all I can say is that your website rocks! great food, stories and pictures.

Thank you Sally, enjoy your sweet potatoes, and I am glad I can be of help sometimes.:)

Thank you Olya, you are a source of inspiration with your beautiful flowers and all the knowledge that you have that you freely share with all of us.

Tom - We are all gurus here and we all share the crown, that is the beauty of the Florida forum and I told you we are all in this together, as the years pass by I want to see all of us gardening and getting food for our tables and trying new things, techniques and veggies. And I guess I am the new Imelda? with all the seeds that you sent me,lol
    Thanks for the info on the subscription.

Silvia

• coffeemom
    13 years ago

Same story here. We were in Deland for Thanksgiving and I was telling everyone about a VSG (very special gardener) I know that lives in these parts and how she plans dinner around her veggie garden. Your garden always seems like heaven to me and
    I love your "You can do it" helpfulness. Yes, I vote Sylvia for the next HGTV Network Star!!!!

• whgille
    13 years ago

Oh Kristi, thank you! You warm up my heart in this cold morning. Being here in the company of such great people like all of you makes my day.

Silvia

• pabrocb
    13 years ago

It was such a pleasure to read this article and see your photo, Sylvia.

Glad to see you got the respect you deserve.

Next time I want more photos of your garden beds!

We are all such fans!

Carol B.

• whgille
    13 years ago

Carol, thank you so much. It is my pleasure to communicate through my garden with all the nice people like you. Every day is a learning experience here in the Florida forum thanks to all the gardeners.
    My father always told me, "more heads think better than one". This forum is very active! even in the cold, lol.

Silvia

• SaintPFLA
    13 years ago

Yaaay! Congratulations Silvia! I'm going to have to pick up the magazine for sure this month.

Now we can all say, we knew her back when!... ;-)

• johnjsr
    13 years ago

Darn, we let our subscription lapse one issue to soon. No problem though, the Deland Book Shop, where my wife used to work, carries it. I have drooled over the photos Sylvia posted of her vegetable dishes and just wished she would publish her recipes, but I'm guessing she takes what is ready to harvest and wings it.
    john

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi Saintpfla - You are so kind! and I am glad that you think in such a positive way about me, hope to improve as the time goes by and in every step of the way, the wonderful people in this forum will be coming along.

Hi John - It is so nice to hear that you enjoy seen the pictures of the dishes that I cook. My father told me that his grandmother had the best seasoning and I had to learn to keep the tradition, well I never did. Instead I look at the garden, the cooking books and voila! not even counting that while I am cooking , I am changing something else again,lol
    This morning I had to make something quick for a potluck, since I have tons of lettuce, how convenient, add picked peppers and cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, goat cheese, some strawberries from the fridge, the edible flowers that I saved from the cold and a balsamic vinaigrette. This salad is layered with toppings and different types of lettuce.

Finished salad

{{gwi:118923}}

Silvia

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi All

Today's frozen vegetables from the garden are really good! I picked carrots and broccoli and I made a hot salad for lunch. I wish you could all be here to enjoy it.-(

Farro, chickpeas, spices, herbs, onions, carrots and broccoli from the garden.

{{gwi:21811}}

Silvia

• steveb3
    13 years ago

Whooo Hoo Silvia and I thought I was the only one inspired by you. You have been a wealth of information for this relocated midwestern wanta be florida gardner plus your generousity with your seeds and plants- your a special person- Well Deserved !
    Steve

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi Steve

Thank you for all your nice thoughts in this cold morning and I am happy that I can be of help sometimes, when more people comes together to share gardening experiences good or bad it makes us wiser.

I won $25 yesterday as a prize for the salad above, that was unexpected!

On the cold front news, I picked my bunch of bananas that is almost ripe, to finish ripen indoors. The bad news is that I had other banana fruiting recently, that one will be frozen soon.-(

Silvia

• sharbear50
    13 years ago

Yum Yum! That salad looks awesome. Congrats Silvia. You cooking, growing and photos are amazing!

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you Sharon - That salad won as a best side dish and was judged by people that know food. For me it is all about eating healthy but maximizing the flavor, I always think about new ingredients combos based on what I have that is fresh, has to be easy and fast for daily cooking. The salad was put together in less than 10 minutes, of course all the ingredients were picked before.

Silvia

• abnorm
    13 years ago

Barnes and Noble finally has the Florida Gardening Dec issue on the shelf......I found mine (and seven more copies) at the Fashion Square store in Orlando.....

Nice work Silvia....Ana and Bill

• tomncath
    13 years ago

Silvia, your pictures and recipes are always so wonderful. Have you considered putting together a Florida Gardening cook book? I, for one, would surely buy it!

Tom

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi Abnorm - I am glad that you liked the article and I hope to keep learning together with all of you about our own climate gardening, like now we have been put to test with the cold.-(

Hi Tom - Thank you and that is a great idea for the future and can be very extensive with all the crops that we can get most year round. Fruits and vegetables that grow here from beginning to the table. And don't worry I will give more space to the tomatoes and okra, less space to the yard long beans, lol. In the meantime, I am just happy sharing all the recipes that come out good using what we grow in our gardens. When it is cold like now my favorite are soups! I can go now and look at the garden and think of all the possible different soups that I can make, they are so easy and delicious to assemble, next come the salads. I hope that when you retire you will devote more time to cooking, it is fun! fritters and desserts once in a while are not going to kill us either.:) as long as is in moderation and freshly made.

Today I finished putting the tender plants inside the house, I am ready for winter, I think...

Silvia

• happy_fl_gardener; 9a, near DeLand
    13 years ago

Congratulations Silvia!!! I just opened my latest Fl. Gardening Magazine last night and I immediately found the very nice article that Bill wrote about you. It was so exciting to read about you in the magazine. You are a great inspiration and such a pleasure to know.

Christine

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>Have you considered putting together a Florida Gardening cook book? I, for one, would surely buy it!

I would, too!

• whgille
    13 years ago

Thank you Christine - It is such pleasure for me to share all the joys and the problems that we encounter gardening here, today is cold and windy and we all worried about our plants, hopefully it will pass soon. About the article I am glad that you liked it, Bill did a great job putting it all together last time that we talked and Ana did a wonderful job with the pictures.

Thank you writersblock for thinking about me in such a positive way, I am really honored to know that you like my recipes, I promise to get better and think of better ways of utilize our fresh Florida produce.

Silvia

• jetstream
    13 years ago

I'll toss in my congrats too! I always enjoy looking at all your pics and wish that I could grow as well. At least my onions survived this latest cold attack and they give me something to look forward to...Z

• whgille
    13 years ago

Hi Z

Thank you! I love to share my garden, veggies and home with all of you, that is what is all about.

Every one contribution for me is a great contribution, as we all have something to share and the garden can be so varied that there is no end to it.

While I sit in the cold I always think "this year more cold hardy stuff to be planted" let's see if I follow through, lol.

I have to admit those veggies like carrots, beets, greens, cabbage, broccoli, peas and cauliflower are tasting really good after the freeze. And another bonus, I don't have to drive in the snow or fall in the ice, I am thankful for everything I have and especially to all of you that contribute on this forum. The cold will pass, keep warm!

Silvia