SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anneliese2978

still no hummingbirds!!

anneliese2978
10 years ago

Good morning! I am hoping for some help! I have been trying for the last three years to attract hummers o my yard, but to no avail. Ever year I plant more and more flowers and vines just for them and have read every article, it seems, on how to make my yard this perfect place for hummingbirds. However, there is something missing or something that they do not like about my yard! I might get one for a day or two in early spring and then they are gone! This year I've made an extra concentrated effort with changing their sugar water every two days, and planting early red flowering plants in my planters. I even have a red umbrella for my deck table and red ribbon tied to my feeder hook. I have seen no activity this year!! My girlfriend teases me that I have a no fly zone over my house ;) She doesn't even try and gets hummers that come right to her window, even with a noisy air conditioner inches away. I do have a very busy yard otherwise, with many types of birds from sparrows, to cardinals, to finches, to crows and wrens. I live in a suburban development , but have a yard full of trees and have many in varying heights which provide great shelter and shade. I also have a bird bath with dripper that everyone else loves, esp the new robin fledglings. Am I trying to hard? Is my yard too busy with bigger birds? Should I just be content with all my other feathered friends? Please help!!
Thanks!!!!

Comments (9)