SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_63513

What makes hosta so different from other plants?

User
11 years ago

Every morning here, I go out with my coffee cup and camera and see how the 'kids' look in the early morning sun.

My DH asked me the other day, "What is it about hosta that you find so different from all the other plants you've grown over the years?" I just looked at him. Ummmm, what would you have said?

Infinite options. Or enough differences in each plant to make it seem possible I will discover a new pot of gold peeking from under a sporty plant.

Who was it said she was all set to grow passifloras until she discovered hosta?

I love a lot of other plants, like the tropicalesque ones, and then jasmine, and roses (although I've never been a dedicated rosarian). These plants are a big part of my garden structure, and I do maintain them, but to have the fascination with them of discovering something new and different--it just isn't there.

In our fair city, for several generations it was a place for men to grow camellias, and they developed quite a lot of named cultivars and grafted plants. Now it is no longer the Men's Camellia Club, just Camellia Club. I love my camellias too, but the two I treasure the most, required recently from Logee's in CT, are two camellia sinensis, the real tea plant. I'm apt to try making tea from the tender new leaves of my other camellias and sasanquas too, but I do not have the sheer excitement of a green surprise leaf on a new hosta.

Comments (18)