SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
natives_and_veggies

cool new neighbor

So the foreclosure next door finally sold and workers started crawling all over the place, making the Great Dane crazy.

First thing the new owner had the workers do: cut down an awful Brazilian pepper tree that we fought back on our side every year and - wait for it - whack down all the vines in a part of the yard that he can't see from his house! This is an area that sent Virginia creeper and other vines into my hedge and into my trees and was visible, and ugly, from my deck. I'm so glad to see it cleaned up!

Then the guy came by to introduce himself, explain some of the work he's doing before he moves in next month, and give me his cell phone number in case there are any issues with the workers.

He wants to coordinate with me as he cleans up his jungle of invasives at the edge of his lot (and outside my bedroom window - urban lot lines.) This will cut down on our privacy and he and I talked about ways to plant things on both sides to restore the privacy in an orderly, and non-invasive way. Several of my plants will fill in pretty quickly because I've planted the area on my side of the fence as a mixed hedge of hardy natives and non-invasive exotics. Many of my plants have suffered from all his vines and the shade from his now-gone pepper tree. I'm so excited to not be pulling vines that come over from his yard!

Yay! A cool, and neighborly neighbor.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022