SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goddess9_gw

Help me with my first foray into rooting cuttings, please?

goddess9
11 years ago

1. I know I talk a lot. It's just that this is my main source of information for Hoyas so I ask a lot of questions. ^_^

2. I know this has been discussed before. I just have my own questions to add onto it.

I have never successfully rooted a Hoya cutting before. My success rate with other plants is pretty good - about 75%. Most did not need anything special - no bottom heat, no increase in humidity. I am considering buying myself a bundle of cuttings from Joni OR Ted Green for my birthday. I am scared to spend so much money on the cuttings and then have them fail because I didn't know something I should have! (I know some fail just because.)

I have outdoor space in which I can keep the cuttings in an enclosed container that can be aired out. I also leave the air off in my apartment during the day so it's pretty damn humid during the week. I was considering:

- a small aquarium + a small grow light + bottom heat (grown in my own mix)

- cuttings brought outside into my small, mini greenhouse. Temperature outside is between 80 and 90*F during the day(grown in my own mix)

- growing the cuttings semi-hydroponically

I want to take advantage of the active growing season. Please help a newbie? I know cuttings are more economical.

Comments (16)

Sponsored