SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnaroe

What is the best feeder design?

donnaroe
9 years ago

I have a hummingbird feeder that has a ring at the bottom with upward facing holes for the birds to feed. There aren't any large plastic cup shaped flowers surrounding the hole-just a little daisy shaped plastic flower. Does rain get into a design like this? Should I go out and find a feeder that has more outward facing feeding stations, perhaps covered with a large cup shaped flower to shield it from the rain? (hope this post makes sense).

I also struggle with when to clean and change the nectar. I also seem to be throwing away a lot of unused nectar from the feeders. Can anyone help with some rules to follow, such as how much nectar to put in a feeder, and how often to change? I am using a one to 4 sugar to water solution that I boil.

If anyone has found a really good feeder at any of the big box stores that I would have access to, would they be kind enough to post what feeder it is, and where they purchased it?

My second feeder is a window one that opens to put an individual sized water bottle in for the nectar. I do see hummers there, but not an abundance of them. Wish we had more birds. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville