SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luvtosharedivs

Any 'Thought it was a gonner stories'?

17 years ago

Last fall I paid way too much for 'Orange Marmalade', because I just HAD to have it. Planted it in the corner of a fenced area behind our house, knowing our old dog would not bother that area. However, our old dog suddenly took a turn for the worse, and died at age 17. She will be missed, but life goes on, and we adopted a young "adolescent" from the Humane society.

Now, my Orange Marmalade was no longer safe. Our Smooth Collie/Fox Terrier mix absolutely hated the squirrels she saw climbing the trees outside the fence. She would run to the corner where my prize Hosta was growing, and JUMP as high as she could to try to clear the fence, but of course, never made it. But she kept trying over and over and over, tramping on my precious O.M. Now the hosta had been in the ground for several weeks, and the leaves were starting to die down anyway because of the fall frosts. So I was hoping it would survive the winter and start anew this Spring.

This Spring arrived and there was no sign of my precious expensive 'Orange Marmalade', thanks to my precious, (actually more expensive than the Hosta) adolescent Humane Society adoption. Or so I thought. All of my other hostas were up and leafing out. I kept pulling away the mulch were O.M. should be, still nothing... until yesterday....I pushed aside a wider circle of mulch and there it was....OMG.... It's alive! Only peeking out 2", but I'm thrilled!!!!! It WILL be transplanted today, to a safer spot.

Does anyone else have any "Thought it was a gonner stories"?

Julie

Comments (15)