SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
limequilla_gw

What flowers now? I don't want feeders.

limequilla
17 years ago

Hi all -- New to the forum and had a question.

The weather here is fluctuating terribly, but I heard the hummers have been spotted in Indianapolis. I'm not interested in buying and supplying a sugar feeder but wondered if there are flowers that naturally bloom this time of year I could plant which would attract the hummers right now. (I have plenty of stuff planted for late April and on through the summer.)

I have a lot of flowers -- but I don't think hummingbords are partial to them (Daffodils, Tulips, Pansies, stuff like that) so I put a pot of Impatiens out (bright fuschia and blueish reds; not sure those are their colors, but it's all I have blooming) and some Primula that are yellow with some red-orange. Very little red-orange as it turns out, but who knew until they bloomed?

Are there any early blooming hardy annuals that they like? Or perennials? I guess I don't really care. I am just wanting things that bloom extra-early in their season.

Last year I think the thing that brought them early were the daffodils (but not for food, I don't think.) While they were here, they noticed I am not a great housekeeper and cleaned all the corners of my windows of spider webs! Isn't that the funniest thing? They kept banging against the windows and I couldn't figure out why they kept doing that, so I stopped to really watch them methodically go from window to window to window stripping the old spider webs.

Thanks for any help,

Lime

Comments (13)

Sponsored
More Discussions