SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uk_hostaman

could this be frost damage?

uk-hostaman
12 years ago

over in the uk...the rain has not stopped for the last 3 weeks,even though we are on drought warnings!...and after a glorious march,april and the start of may have been really cold..so my hostas are alittle behind last year

Anyway...spotted these markings on one of my new 'fleet week' a few weeks back...could it be frost damage?

and just a couple that seem to be coping with all this cold and wet!

artic blast..growing nothing like i thought it would!

sea gulf stream

and a new one this year...'GOLDEN SCULPTURE'

Comments (22)

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

Don't know what the spots are, but I love your garden! Sea Gulf Stream is a beauty. And Thalia (?) narcissus. It must smell wonderful in your garden. Hosta and boxwood is not a combination that would ever occur to me - it's great. At some point I would love to see some pics of your garden from a little further away.
    Christine

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

yes.. i COULD be...

what it is is individual cells dying.. either from loss of cell wall integrity related to cold.. or a bug biting the tissue ...

its not something i would really worry about ...

ken

• Related Discussions

Is this what frost damage looks like?

Q

Comments (4)
    It does not look as frost damage to me, although could have been bruising from hale. Sometimes such splits can form on shrubs in early spring, when the plant is still dormant and gets very bright and warm sun, but I never seen that with roses. It may be a good idea though if the mornings are very chilly and sun is baking in the day time, to relocate the rose so that it warms up more gradually from the chill. With quite a few plants often not the frost itself kills them, but too fast unfreezing, which ruptures cells.
    ...See More

What could be damaging my rose?

Q

Comments (15)
    No worries Rob, I missread a lot of posts when our little one is in whiny mood. x) I don't know about the frost, Paul's scarlet is next to it, but it is smaller. Sometimes we can get a bit of frost bite in a shade/north side, so I don't rule it out, it does look like a frost damage. Aphids I haven't noticed this year so far, probably due to our very cold spring. It also could be slugs - those really can do a lot of damage over here, but usually they just chew all the leaves and PHM is pretty big, but maybe if they were super hungry... PHM is the second year in that spot, otherwise he did not seem to have a problem with it, he gets a few hours of morning sun and some evening sun over there, but it is rather open place. He did not bloom last year much over there, but that was due to the lack of old wood, since I cut him back after replanting. Will have to see how it does this year. Here are some photos of my problem, sorry for the quality, it is quite gloomy over here and that's best what my mobile can do. Blackened tips of the new growth: Leaves on the tips are curled and a bit black on the edges:
    ...See More

Help with brown and dry areas on cacti

Q

Comments (1)
    Corking is something that occurs to some cactus. If your plants are showing happy signs of health like flowering it's nothing to worry about. Don't know what causes it, but, some of mine have it, too.
    ...See More

Transluscent spots on Hostas

Q

Comments (5)
    We had a week of cool weather where it dropped below zero once. ==>>> so for us down here.. they froze .. and that is the answer .. never fert a plant that is in transplant shock ... ken
    ...See More
  • Gesila
    12 years ago

I have a couple that look like that. At least it's not mush like some of mine got after two nights of freezing.

What are the little cages over your hostas for? And, where did you get them?

Gesila

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gesila....the little cages are up turned hanging baskets i use to protect the new shots from our little cat who still is very heavy footed when it comes to the soft shots in spring and also good for covering with fleece when they are really young...usually by this time of year they have all out grown them!

and anniegolden..you know your narcissus!...been in bloom for a month now

• tiddisolo z8 Wales UK
    12 years ago

Hi UK, having lurked on this forum for a long while now, this post of yours has prompted me to join in.
    Last year around this time I moved to Mid Wales from just outside London. With me on the move came around 200 different Hostas all in pots which is mainly how I grow them.
    As you will recall we had blistering temperatures for several weeks prior to my move. Shortly after we got here the weather broke and it turned wet and cold.
    Within a few weeks of that change I started to see the same kind of rust colored dots appearing on the leaves of quite a few of my plants. Frighteningly it started to spread across virually every plant causing leaves to die and some rotting at the base of the stems.Searching books and the internet gave me no answers and I came to the conclusion that the plants had been stressed and that what I had was possibly some sort of fungal infection. I applied fungicide on a regular basis which seemed to slow it down.Worried that the loss of leaves would leave the plants unable to build reserves and new roots and eyes for the following year there was nothing else I could do but wait for the spring.
    Once the eyes started showing in the spring I started to clean the tops of the pots and tipped a few out to look at the state of the roots.All seems to be well with plenty of healthy roots and eyes and they have slowly unfurled. A small proportion of the plants are showing this spotting again and if it ever stops raining I will apply a fungicide.
    I can't say for sure what caused it or even if it is fungal but it is curious that you should first of all cite the weather conditions in your post.
    At the moment I am more worried about the frost to -5C forcast for tonight and am frantically trying to cover them or move them inside, not an easy task with something like 300 pots to cover or move.
    I wonder if there are any other UK hosta growers reading this who have experienced anything similar.
    A big hello to all you guys over the other side of the pond.
    David

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi david..glad you joined...i love it here!...would be good to hear if others suffer from this problem too!...and if there is anything we can do to prevent it...
    dont be shy with posting pics of your hostas!

ps.i know what you mean about the frost tonight..-2 forcast for here so as much in the greenhouse and cover the rest with some good fleece i bought on ebay(link)

UK

Here is a link that might be useful: fleece

• ctopher_mi
    12 years ago

That is a fungal leaf spot which can be secondary to frost damage, and can be common during cold and prolonged wet conditions. Some cultivars are much more prone to it than others. You can't cure the spots but can stop the spread with a fungicide drench and then trying to allow the leaves to dry out.

I've never seen fungal leaf spot rot the stems but frost damage itself can sometimes encourage rotting of the stems too.

When I have an individual plant I will just spray it with foaming lysol disinfectant/cleaner, let it sit a few minutes and then rinse it out. With larger areas I will spray with Daconil. Overall it doesn't harm the plant, and it is just something in the environment and not a permanent problem with any particular hosta.

• Gesila
    12 years ago

I love it Chris, foaming lysol disinfectant/cleaner!

Gesila

• uk-hostaman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

its great here...thanks everybody...now off to fleece everything!!!!!!!!!!!

• anniegolden
    12 years ago

This forum is such a wealth of information. So glad I landed over here.

UK, there is a silver lining here. It was so unseasonably hot here in March that my Thalias bloomed and died in about 3 days. You have had yours for a month! Wow!
    Christine

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

That is a fungal leaf spot which can be secondary to frost damage

is chris saying.. that w/o some loss of integrity to the leaf surface.. that neither the rust nor the fungus would be an issue ...

that is what secondary should mean ..

in other words... preventative chemical use would NOT be worthwhile???

ken

• ctopher_mi
    12 years ago

Preventative chemical use can help. If you know it is a cold and wet spring then you can prevent some of the spores from taking over. The damage can be just as easy from overly wet, cold tissue that has burst, and if there are no fungal spores present through prevention then that would be great. I do both and in some cultivars can never get a complete handle on this - cold, wet, frost damage, it is almost bound to happen on something.

Lysol is actually approved for plant use as a fungicide (sold as the brand name Consan 20), and since I have the foaming spray around all the time for disinfecting tools I don't mind spraying down the plants from time to time too :)

• jan_on zone 5b
    12 years ago

Hi David -- welcome to the forum. I suspect you are our first Welshman, but you're certainly not the first person here to move and take a ton of hostas along! It's great fun to have a contact in another part of the world.

uk-hostaman -- as always, I enjoy your pictures. I think you have a tiny perfect garden. Perhaps being space challenged has made you particularly creative. At any rate you seem to have grown a paradise.
    Jan

• AnnasHostas
    11 years ago

I've found this Forum searching the internet for answers why my hostas' growth has been stunted this year.
    Having read all the comments I decided to share my sad story with you. All my hostas are in pots (120 of them) this year they have grown dwarfed. The photo shows my biggest hosta (apologies for the gross overexposure of the pic) Sum & Substance. It normally grows 5' high leaves. This year the flowers came out first! Before the leaves opened. The leaves as you can see are nowhere near 5' they are barely 1' high. This hosta is by no means the only one that has done this. I have two large mature Halcyon hostas. They also grew flowers before opening leaves and the leaves are barely 2" off the ground.
    Could this be frost/wind damage?
    A couple of years ago I moved from London to Suffolk, quite near the coast. When the wind blows, it blows and my garden here isn't as protected as the one I had in London. Would the plants adapt this quickly? We also had a dreadfully frosty snap in February when the hostas start emerging from the ground, so it could be frost damage. I have some 6 hostas that haven't come out at all this year.
    Any suggestions? I am also worried that this could be this dreaded HVX that has infected some of my hostas, as some leaves, particularly on the Big Daddy hostas are kind of curled. Is it frost or HVX?
    Looking forward to some moral support.
    Anna

• AnnasHostas
    11 years ago

Sum & Substance

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

Anna,

You should consider starting a new thread for your story and posting more pictures of your Hosta from this Spring. It likely was a change in weather conditions in your (relatively) new location that have caused problems with the growth cycle of your Hosta.

Typically Hostas go through an initial vegetative growth cycle in the Spring and early summer, followed by a reproductive cycle (flowering) later in the year. This is then followed by another less vigorous vegetative growth cycle in the fall. Something happened to interrupt the normal cycle for your plants. They were significantly stressed and thus went directly to flowering as a means for survival.

You said you have 120 Hosta in pots. Have all of them had stunted growth? Tell me what you do with your Hosta during the winter time. Do you cover them? Do you tip them over? Does the potting soil in the containers freeze or not during your winters? Are any of the pots more protected from the wind than others? From what direction is the prevailing winter wind relative to your garden and house? More pictures would be helpful.

Steve

• AnnasHostas
    11 years ago

Steve
    Thank you so much for the trouble you took to respond. I am new to this forum so I didn't know how to anything, let alone start a new thread.

You are absolutely right; the hostas did suffer great stress last year after I moved. The new garden is very exposed to sun and wind and I really didn't know where to put them. Some of them were moved several times to give them some shade in the afternoon. In addition we had a very early hot spring in March last year so the hostas came up very early and flowered early. But then we had a long spell of rain followed immediately by sun, meaning the water on the leaves practically boiled and cooked the leaves. As a result by mid August, when I should have a great display, almost all the leaves on all the hostas where burnt and died.
    I cover my hostas in the winter with bark chips which seems enough; we don�t have Siberian frost here. I do take the hostas off all the plates so they don�t stand in water which could freeze if it gets below zero.

Not all the hostas are dwarfed. Mostly the blue and green such as Big Daddy, sieboldiana, Blue Angel, even miniatures like Blue Mouse Ears. All the blue hostas stood in a place with shade in the morning, but sun in the afternoon. They didn�t cook in the sun as badly as all the other hostas, such as Francee or Gold Standard, yet are most stunted this year.

The prevailing wind is from the west, but being close to the North Sea coastline, it changes frequently and we have strong winds from the east as well. I wondered if perhaps the salt in the air could have something to do with the stress on hostas.

Finally, in London I had a mostly shaded garden so the hostas were in dappled sun all day. They looked stunning, I attach some pics. Here in Suffolk it is a different story. I have planted some climbing plants to give some shade and repositioned all the pots so they are in some shade in the afternoon as much as possible and am hoping for the best. Unfortunately this garden is only a temporary situation for me, so I can�t do anything permanent till I move again to my own house.
    Thanks again
    Anna

• AnnasHostas
    11 years ago

May/June 2012

• bkay2000
    11 years ago

To post a message, go to the bottom of this page where it has a purple link that says "return to the hosta forum". That's the main page for this forum. At the top of the white space, there's a group of blue links. The rightmost one says, "post a message". Click there and a space will pop up for you to start your own thread.

There are a few of us who grow in pots here. I'm in Texas, so our climates are worlds apart. Something I've garnered here after a couple of years is to make sure your pots don't stay too wet in the winter. Babka covers hers as soon they they go dormant, so they get no rain all winter. Folks in climates with continuous freezing weather wait for them to freeze and them tip them over and put them on the shade so that water can't accumulate above the frozen part and rot the crown. I think the shade is so they don't continuously freeze and thaw. Some move them to unheated sheds after they go dormant.

In my part of Texas, we get very little freezing weather and then usually nothing under 25 degrees fahrenheit. If it freezes, it's just a couple of days at most and usually just overnight. I don't do anything to mine. I keep them on "pot feet" so they have good drainage. Mine do fine that way.

Sorry I couldn't help more. If you'll post to the whole group, you might get better answers.

bkay

• Steve Massachusetts
    11 years ago

That's a beautiful collection of Hosta in pots that you have. I'm not sure what a Siberian Frost is, but it sounds like your pots don't freeze during the winter.

In order for your Hosta to thrive in their new climate they will need a lot more water than they used to get in London. This should help them to deal with the change in sun and wind conditions. You are correct to give them as much afternoon shade as you can. It appears that those pots are terra cotta clay. While those pots are very beautiful, they also absorb water and dry out faster than other materials.

Once your Hosta have flowered this summer and are getting ready for dormancy, make sure they have a lot of water at that time of year. You want them to go into dormancy fully saturated with water. Once they are dormant no more water until you see growth in the Spring. Just protect them from the wind and sun as much as possible.

These are Hosta. They will adjust to their new situation, but you just want to reduce the stress for them as much as possible. I'm pretty sure that what is happening is that they are drying out due to the increase in sun and wind. If you have any Hosta that are pot bound, make sure that they get re-potted into a larger pot so that there is enough potting mix to retain some moisture between waterings.

Thanks for showing us your collection.

Steve

• User
    11 years ago

Anna, look forward to seeing your new thread.

You find the box for NEW subjects at the bottom of the main Hosta forum page. Be sure to put a tic (check) in the little box which says to send any replies to you via email. That's the valuable part of having your own subject. Plus, for the rest of us, we can find it in a search and it will be focused on one topic instead of several. Like BKay says, the whole group will be aware of a new topic....and a new poster from another part of the world.

Welcome aboard!! Always room for another soul who loves hosta. :)

• AnnasHostas
    11 years ago

Thanks again Steve
    It seems that I have always been making the mistake of not watering much after flowering, assuming that they don't need much then. I do water but not as much as in spring and summer.
    Lesson learned!
    They are re-potted and split quite regularly and yes I do know about the terracotta pots being very porous so all the plants have a water tray under the pot, which is taken away in the winter so the soil doesn't freeze over.
    Thank you for your help and also thank you for your comments about my collection.
    Best wishes
    Anna

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths