SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Incredible Hummingbird Phenomena

I had the most incredible thing happen in my yard last evening. I have lots of Annas in my yard (maybe 10 to 15 at any given time) as I've got tons of great plants for them here (many sages, penstemons, native California plants, etc.), plus several feeders. And, the Annas stay all year round. Or so I thought. Around 4:00 pm yesterday, I looked out my kitchen window, where I have 2 hummingbird feeders and an oriole feeder, plus 2 more feeders on the other side of my walkway, by our two-tier pond. So, lots of feeders. All around the feeder closest to the window (and very interestingly, the first feeder I ever hung), were about 50 hummingbirds. I looked past the feeder, and there had to be at least another 50 or so, buzzing all around, waiting to get at this feeder. There were so many hummers, they were sitting 2 to 3 on a perch, trading off using the little feeding flower port! Males sitting with males, many males at the feeder together. It looked a little like a swarm of gigantic green bumble bees! Some would venture over to other feeders, but they ALL wanted this one feeder. I hung this feeder in the fall of 2009, and it was the only feeder up for about maybe 4 to 6 months. I am wondering if these are all progeny of my original hummers that fall, and that they all went somewhere south, and are now returning!?! And their parents have communicated about THIS feeder?? I have never, ever seen anything like this! This evening, I still had quite a few, but not the 100+ I had yesterday evening. At least, not all at once! Anyone familiar with the migratory habits of Anna's? It was a sight to see!

Patty S.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting