SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pondluvr

I am devastated....and beside myself!!!

pondluvr
11 years ago

How to make this short? I have no idea, but I will try my best.

Many years ago, my beloved Grandfather turned me on to hostas. He is still living at 95, and still loves hostas and gardening in general. Sadly, my Grandmother passed away in February of pancreatic cancer. They were married 73 years!

Over the past 20 or 25 years, I have acquired many hostas from Grandpa. But unfortunately, due to many maple trees and root competition, my hostas were doing very poorly, with more and more dying out each year. I was forced to learn to keep my beauties in containers. Over the past 7 or 8 years in particular, I have mastered the art of keeping hostas in containers, and I live in Michigan where we get pretty harsh winters. I've learned how to overwinter them, and have only lost 1 or 2 in the past 8 years to crown rot. I thought I had everything under control. People come by my house each year and comment on how beautiful they look. They are huge and lush, and I had many, many varieties, mostly from Grandpa.

I went out yesterday to uncover the containers, as I do each Spring. I get such a thrill to see them starting to poke through the soil each year. Imagine my SHEER HORROR to find that of my 50+ containers, a good 80-90% of them had been completely EATEN by voles!!! As in GONE. As in, there's no babying them back to health. They're just gone! I had heard this could happen, and I do get voles, which I trap, in my perennial garden. But they have never bothered my hostas over the winter. Some of the containers didn't even have much soil left in them. A couple of the containers have some roots, but no "eyes". I do not know if those with remaining roots will grow. Anybody know? I think there needs to be at least one eye for them to grow.

Needless to say, I am DEVASTATED! It seems enough that I lost my Grandma. We were very close. Now my hostas. It's not like I can just go to the store and replace them, because they came from my Grandpa. I guess I can make a trip to Iowa this summer (where he lives) and dig a little piece from each of his and try to restart them. Although summer is not optimal. But to get them to the size they were will take forever. Ok, I can handle that. But there were a couple that he had lost over the years that I still had, and those won't be replaced. I never kept records of all the varieties I had either.

To make matters worse, I am a rodent lover and I hate killing things. But I do use traps for moles and voles because they really do a lot of damage to my garden. I am against poison. BUT I TELL YOU THE TRUTH, I WILL BE BUYING A BOX TOMORROW. I can't tell you how angry and hurt I am........dumb I know, since it's not like my Grandpa died or anything. But it almost feels that way. I just couldn't believe my eyes. My husband watched as my eager anticipation turned to tears. He felt so bad.

If and when I get new ones growing again, I will definitely be doing what many do to begin with. Put boxes of mouse poison under the tarp along with the hostas. I just never had problems before, and figured I wouldn't. Lesson learned. I'm just SO sad. Grandpa is now deteriorating rapidly with dementia since Grandma passed in February. This is all a bit much.

Thanks for listening. It helps lighten the load.

Blessings,
Sandy

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH