SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cena_gw

Size of pots

Cena
16 years ago

I'm in a minority, with the way I grow my hoyas. I grow them outside (year round, and I have shameful pictures to prove it) and I primarily use Self Water pots. There have been some questions here about what size of pots other growers use. I have found a lovely 2x2 inch pot that is four inches tall. All my hoya cuts and epiphyllums (HI, Eddie!) go into this pot for the first year or so.

I struggle continually with certain types of hoyas, and there are some I Just Can NOT Grow.

That being said, I took some pix today to show the sizes of the plants in the sizes of the pots.

Earline, if you are out there, this is for you!

Krinkle 8 in a four inch rolled rim saucer pot.

This obivata and 'Royalty' are in the smallest size SW pot I can get. I don't like them, they have no opening to water into, and they hang from chains. I prefer hanging pots to have stiff hangers, so that tiny 5'2" me can get them into the tree, without dropping them and wrecking havoc! But they work if you monitor amount of water and activity of the plant. The well (where the roots sit) is likely 6 inches by 4 inches.

I posted a picture lately for Leon, on the pots that I like to use. They are the largest SW pot that Big Lots sells (right around February, if you wait until 'Spring' they will be sold out). Most of my large hoyas are in this size. I haven't measured, as I don't have an empty one at this time. They are big, likely 8 inches deep and as much or more across.

The owner of this hoya was downsizing, and I picked it up for a song. It had been in the same pot for 10 or 14 years, since he was a ceramicist (sp???) he kept it in a pot he had made. I don't have a good ID on it, it is a carnosa of some type, and I will be asking folks to tell me what they think. The star coronas are yellow and the flower smells like roses. He told me this plant had been in his possession for nearly 30 years. I've had it four now. I take cuts regularly.

Bonus points for sitting through the lecture!

Earline, Grandkids!

Krinkle 8

My very first obivata blooms and I can't get them in focus, OR in the light... ~sniff~

My very first compacta blooms EVER. This plant traveled from Minnisota to live here. More on that in the next post on why 'I Can't Find Hoyas In My State!'

Oh, yeah. The shameful pictures. I will have to follow Eddie's advice and pick a better 'light' time to take this pix. Nearly all of the outside leaves are varying shades of yellow. This is my kerrii who took exception to the three days of 27* night time lows we had this winter. Some of you know I grow my hoyas in a tree, and less of you know that three of them have taken OVER the tree, and are now not able to be moved during sudden snap freezes. I wish this pix wasn't in such deep contrast. Although you CAN see the three seed pods forming, you can not see what AWFUL treatment this plant survived. It is setting buds as I type!

Shots of austrailus up 'into' the tree!

It is also in the large size Big Lots SW pot. I never ever worry about it. I can water today, and tomorrow, or the next day that resevoir will be empty!

It loves its water!

Comments (2)

Sponsored