SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
junkyardgirl

FYI: Calcium Oxylate Crystals

junkyardgirl
15 years ago

Someone asked what these were in my thread on my EE injury, so I looked it up. Wikipedia has a great article on it.

These crystals are tiny little crystals that are very sharp. They pierce your skin wherever they touch and make tiny little cuts, like being pricked by 1,000 needles all at once.

This is part of what it says:

"Even a small dose of calcium oxalate is enough to cause intense sensations of burning in the mouth and throat, swelling, and choking. In larger doses, however, calcium oxalate causes severe digestive upset, breathing difficulties and  if enough is consumed  convulsions, coma and death. Recovery from severe oxalate poisoning is possible, but permanent liver and kidney damage may have occurred.

The stalk of the Dieffenbachia produces the most severe reactions. These needle-like crystals produce pain and edema when they contact lips, tongue, oral mucosa, conjunctiva, or skin. Edema primarily is due to direct trauma from the needle-like crystals and, to a lesser extent, by other plant toxins (e.g. bradykinins, enzymes)."

The ONLY treatment, according to Poison Control is ice or cold ice cream or milk, which helps dissolve the crystals (milk acids, I suppose)

Boiling for a certain length of time dissolves the crystals, that's why you can eat EE ears and roots, but DO NOT try to eat them raw! If my incident is any indication of what would happen to you, and it was mild (didn't feel mild!), it would be horrendous!

I found some Cepacol spray and some Chloraseptic lozenges that helped with the pain, thank heaven!

Here's a link to the wiki article

Here is a link that might be useful: Calcium Oxylate Wikipedia Article

Comments (12)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor